Transporting Doors on a silly impractical car..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, yep, I sadly don't have a Van, instead with quite an impractical coupe.

I do have some very sturdy roof bars for it, and need to get a set of wooden double doors 100 miles from where I am.

Anybody know any good ways of making sure the doors don't end up on the A303 bouncing down the road? What kinda straps etc etc?

Rear seats not fold down?

I'd use ratchet straps to strap the doors onto the roof bars. Another one or 2 to strap them together and then potentially another strap to the front tow hook as you are likely to get some "bounce" at the leading edge of the doors. Possibly another to the rear tow hook.

And build the speed and keep an eye\ear for movement.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs-h":35kr9qpf said:

I'd use ratchet straps to strap the doors onto the roof bars. Another one or 2 to strap them together and then potentially another strap to the front tow hook as you are likely to get some "bounce" at the leading edge of the doors. Possibly another to the rear tow hook.

HIH

Dibs

:) .....and police?

Cheers Dibs

Yep, never thought about the front and rear tow hooks. The car isn't big enough to get them in, even with seats down.

Will hit halfrauds I think.

phil.p":2q06st2f said:
Dibs-h":2q06st2f said:

HIH

Dibs

:) .....and police?

Only if they fall off! LOL!

I'll second the ratchet straps. If you put one down to the front tow loop put a 1/2 turn into the bit that drops from the door to the tow loop. That will stop it vibrating and 1. working loose, 2. driving you up the wall with the movement and noise :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I carry 2 ratchet straps in my car all the time, working on the principle that you will need them at an unexpected time and there is no substitute in my book. I also carry 2 non ratchet jobbies too. They are great if you need and extention for the ratchets 8)

If you use the straps, put some heavy duty cardboard onto the doors where the straps go over the edge. It will stop the straps damaging the doors.

Be careful with the ratcheting straps. If you overdo it, you can bend your car's body panels.

Kirk
who has bent parts of a trailer with ratcheting straps...

I have a BMW coupe, and not the best for load lugging though bikes go on a treat.

The bars are rated at 70kg, and bolt direct into hidden bolts in the roof rails, so pretty secure.

They are going from the west country to Hampshire. Being 2.1m long they shouldn't over hang the car much at all. I guess if looks safe then Mr plod shouldn't stop me too. Comments taken on board too so will get some straps and make sure I don't over tension. I think I would have to go some to bend the roof and the rails. Being pretty new I don't want bits of strap flapping in the wind and scraping up the car.

I will post on here if there is some scrap mahogany on the A303 at the weekend for pick up only, and pretty damn quickly only too. :D

the_g_ster":1dlvogoz said:
I have a BMW coupe, and not the best for load lugging though bikes go on a treat.

The bars are rated at 70kg, and bolt direct into hidden bolts in the roof rails, so pretty secure.

They are going from the west country to Hampshire. Being 2.1m long they shouldn't over hang the car much at all. I guess if looks safe then Mr plod shouldn't stop me too. Comments taken on board too so will get some straps and make sure I don't over tension. I think I would have to go some to bend the roof and the rails. Being pretty new I don't want bits of strap flapping in the wind and scraping up the car.

I will post on here if there is some scrap mahogany on the A303 at the weekend for pick up only, and pretty damn quickly only too. :D

Pull over after the first few miles, check the tension and re-adjust the tension (if need be) - things do shift slightly at 1st. Then might be an idea to check stuff every so often. Be worth wrapping some duck tape at a point around the load, visible to you thru the front screen and making a note of it's position - even a bit of masking tape on the inside of the screen, to line up. That way, if there is movement in the load - you have some chance of knowing how much - as opposed to too late!

An old bit of carpet - pile down on the bodywork, should stop any scratches on the paintwork from the straps. At 2.1m long - you shouldn't have much overhang at the back (unless it's a 1 series coupe) and sufficient at the front to tie to the tow hook.

One thing to remember - balance the load for weight, not for length. Don't be tempted to slide it back just 'cos it's makes life easier to tie to the tow hook or something. That's a recipe for disaster!

Any strap left over - I normally open open a door and shove it in, closing the door. Never had a problem.

HIH

Dibs

With the increase in fuel consumption with that lot on the roof, it might be cheaper (and certainly safer) to hire a van for the day.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

or try for a quote on shiply, you might be surprised how cheap you can do it for. i had three big machines from reading delivered to Taunton for 80 quid!

adidat

I was looking at moving some 8x4 sheets around on the top of our old golf a while back. Someone suggested strapping a couple of ladders to the roof bars to give support (and tie down points) along the whole length of the sheet. The idea was to stop it flapping about as you got up to speed. Seemed like a good suggestion although I never tried it.

Fuel consumption won't be an issue if you build up enough speed - you'll fly there :lol:

the first time i got something on my roof rack was a massive piece of plum wood, i didn't strap it down tight enough. so made for an interesting journey.

adidat

Back