Transco

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm converting a flat and the kitchen will become a bedroom. There's a gas riser running through the room in the corner and a gas supply from there to the other side of the room where the meter would normally go. No meter.

No-one has used gas in the flat for at least 20 years or more and so no 'gas provider' or contract with any gas supplier.

After being given the runaround by British Gas, Transco et al I now believe that Transco are responsible for arranging an 'isolation' as I want the supply permanently removed (leaving the riser in place). I spoke to Transco customer service last Friday and they were going to arrange for someone to come out and give me a quote for the work. No callback to arrange a first appointment Monday or Tuesday. Chased customer service (nicely) and finally got a quick phone call late Tuesday to say that the job would be carried out by 'Isolations' and that they would contact me to arrange an initial appointment. No further contact.

My problem is that I need to have some indication of when the work will be done ...I just want to see some hint of progress. However, I am over a barrel...I have no place else to go and so totally at the mercy of Transco. Gut feel says that the more I chase the further down the pile I'll get pushed.

Anyone else had similar problems/can give any advice as to the best approach.

Anyone on the forum part of Transco senior management?? :wink:

I have had similar problems with BG and Transco in reverse. I needed Gas put into my property... the whole process took 3 months, 4 quotes and lots of phone calls. No advice for you Roger but I do feel your pain.... :( :wink:

Roger,

I had a similar problem to both you and wizer! all be id here in ireland - I had a riser in the house, and wanted to put in gas. It turned out the riser was long since dead since the supply to the street had been updated. I suspect if there has been no gas in the place for 20 years you may find the same. In my case I go the Gas board to come out and check it was disconnected (Which was done in a most prfessional way - take the cap off the riser and smell it - no joke that's what he did!) but he would not remove it, without going into the details, I got a new gas supply over the nest 5 months, and ended up cutting out the old riser myself due to lack of progress with them. I would not recomend this, a seriously cold sweat job!

The only advice I can give you is that in the end we had to lodge a complaint with them in order to get some of the work done - in fact the guy on the telephone recoomended that was what we did if we ever wanted to get it finished. You could try the bit of a smell of gas trick? at leats you would find out if the riser was "live"

Hope you get it sorted
Les

What about the regulator - Ofgas or whoever.

We were having lots of probs last year with Welsh water and the quality of supply. Lots of fobbing off etc -eg its normal etc (despite the yellow,cloudy colour!). I didn't contact Ofwat, but I did say I was going to. Next day - two vans and the hereford depot manager arrive. Filters in place, job done!

It may be that on the regulator's site there is a required time for response etc.

Worth a try.

edit: having just re read your post - you haven't given 'isolations a huge amount of time to respond. Assuming a late call on Tuesday results in a message passed on on Wed, it wouldn't be unreasonable to allow at least 24 hours from then to get an answer. Your post was at 9.20am on the first day that they might ring you! I think you might have a leg to stand on re kicking up a fuss with them if you haven't heard within 5 working days.

Cheers

Tim

Fair point, Tim...just gut feel (and pub talk) suggests this is going to be long drawn out. In my defence I have been down this route already with Transco...directed to Fulcrum..who faxed a form to me..went out, got a load of photo's done to send them so's they could give me a more accurate quote. That got lost inside their system and the next time I spoke to Fulcrum (part of Transco) I was told that 'no they didn't do that..it was british gas'...and BG told me ...no, it's Transco. Going ever so slowly round and round in circles.

Les -- definitely live...I also tried the 'I smell gas' approach hoping the guy would cap it off there and then...he said no. But you have got me thinking...DIY job? Only concern would be very old rusty connections, little spark and whoosh...perhaps not.

Roger,

I don't doubt that you are right to be suspicious that action is not forthcoming. My comment was in light of your concern re being seen to kick up an undue fuss (in their minds) and be pushed further down the pile.

We had a Calor gas tank here when we moved in (huge thing) and I wanted to put oil in instead - the only place to put an oil tank was where the gas tank was. Calor said it could take up to 3 months to move it (which would force me effectively to use LPG as a fuel source). I told them that it would be in the layby up the road by the weekend. Got moved!

Cheers

T

Well, here we are again. Sept 1st and limited progress. I have got a contact number in Transco (a general enquiry line) and they have received my faxed Disconnection of Service Pipe request..that was over a week ago at which time they told me that it would go into the queue for a quote.

Out of curiosity I rang energywatch to see if there were any service levels for this sort of thing and told no. They also said that, based on the existing complaints they were investigating, four weeks (yes, FOUR) was a typical Transco response time.

I can't think of any other consumer facing organisation in the UK that takes this long to respond. :evil:

Hah...ever the optimist. I should have known better. Today was THE day. This thread started in August - three months ago.

Needless to say the ********** ********* from Transco failed to materialise. :twisted: Did they call me to let me know? Hmpph! :evil: All their lines permanently engaged (actually I am convinced that they leave them off the hook) so resorted to subterfuge.

Conversation went along the lines .."So will they come tomorrow?"

"Don't know."

"Does it mean that I've gone to the bottom of the pile again?"

"Don't know. I suggest that you call again tomorrow."

How I kept my tongue in check I will never know. Roger for Saint, I think.

The mods would edit out what I'd really like to say.

EDIT: Ah..that explains it. Just read the Remuneration Policy for the Transco board and customer service does not feature. Now where's that angle-grinder?

Try telling them that you keep smelling gas. Try that a few times and you'll eventually get the same engineer out a second time. Then may be the time to suggest that they could simply get rid of the supply altogether which should nail the "problem" altogether...

I already tried that Matt...the guy is too cute to fall for that one. One thought was to tell them that 'I reckon I can do it myself with a hacksaw. Open the windows to let the gas out. Then stick some paper up the pipe to block it off and cover with sticky tape'.

That might work.

Alternatively, I have the home address now - courtesy of Companies House - and with a bit of luck he won;t be ex-directory.

Interestingly they answer the phone now as National Grid - because Transco is such a dirty word. Everyone thinks National Grid = the old electricity grid = cosy and warm. Good 'ol leccy.

Terribly
Rank
And
Nobody
Simply
Cares
Obviously

Back