Trams running again in Nottingham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Yesterday was the first public day for the new 200 million tram system in Nottingham.

It was a similar experience to being on the tube in one of the over ground areas. We went from the centre of Nottingham to Hucknall which is the end of the line and also happens to be where my office is based. In all the tram runs for about ten miles. Certainly a vast improvement on those old trolley buses.

All in all an excellent experience. :D

Neil

'Cor, have they got it running down Derby road as well? I used to take the bus from QMC (or Lenton Boulevard) every weekend for a night 'out on the town'!!!!

Adam

Hi Adam and Gill

The tram starts at the railway station and runs into the Lace Market alongside the Broadmarsh centre. It then turns left into the Market Square. At the end of the square it turns right to the Theatre Royal and then on through Trent University to the High School, Basford, Bulwell and onto Hucknall.

The ten miles takes about 27 minutes and there is a spur line that takes you to the park and ride at Junction 26 of the M1. You also have a park and ride facility at Junction 27 of the M1 which would be much quicker to get to in the rush hour as J26 is deadly in the morning and evening.

Sorry, I got carried away. :oops: The answer to your question is no, not yet. Line one is complete and they are looking at planning/funding for the other lines.

Cheers
Neil

Neil wrote:

Yesterday was the first public day for the new 200 million tram system in Nottingham.

200 million! They are talking about nearly 100 million for a guided bus into Cambridge. All we are going to get for that is a concrete trough in which to run existing busses with wheels screwed on. And it will stop before getting into the city so they will have to join all the rest of the traffic in the congested city centre. Oh, and they are ripping up a disused railway line to boot.

What do we have to do to get a tram instead?

Sorry, wrong forum. Rant over.

Back