Trailer wheels/tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few trailer users on here, so a bit of advice needed. Last year, I got a second hand trailer. It was a good price. It was a 2004 trailer, but supposed to be 'like new'. I had to travel about 60 miles to view it, but prepared to walk away if it wasn't a good one. On viewing, I couldn't believe it was 16 years old, but turns out it had hardly been used and stored inside for a long time. It still has the surface moulding pips on the tyre tread. It was a beauty. I asked the guy how heavy it was, he thought about 300-400Kg, which is typical for an 8X6 4 wheel trailer. I made sure the brakes were working OK, and nothing seized and set off. I headed back to the motorway on back roads. Everything fine, but the car (Honda CRV 2 litre) seemed to be a bit sluggish. I was concerned the brakes may be binding a bit, so I stopped before the motorway to check. Absolutely no heat in the drums or tyres. The trailed had stopped on a bit of a slope, so two of the wheels were off the ground and they turned really freely. Wheels stopped when I put on the brake, released immediately. The tow hitch was working freely. Everything looked fine. I set off on the motorway, It seemed to be OK. I was taking it easy, about 50ish. Driving along in 6th gear, the first hill I got to, my goodness, the car was struggling, down to 5th, had lost momentum, so down to 4th and speed picks up. I was thinking rubbish towing car!! long story short. When I got home and read up about trailer weights I could see the rating on the plate. Trailer load +1075kg = 2000Kg max. The empty trailer was 1075Kg!!! Clyde built and some!. Built like a tank! That's why my car was finding it tougher than I expected. The trailer has the wheels under the body, which makes it a dream to tow and three sides fold down, so a dream to load, but it has 10-145 inch tyres 82 load rating, so 1900Kg total load. I would like to replace the tyres, even though they have new tread. They are too old and possibly been flat for years, they degrade with time. I can get 84/82 tyres, but that would not increase the total load. I would still be limited to 1900Kg. It's irrelevant for my car, I have a limit of 1700Kg, but my son in law has a large truck and can tow 2700Kg. I have a suspicion the wheels may have been changed from 12 to 10 inch. otherwise they couldn't plate the trailer at 2000Kg?? assuming they were original. I can get also get 145-10 84N which would bring the trailer back to a max 2000Kg load. I just want to do a sanity check and make sure with a single rated tyre '84' there is no fiddle factor to apply when 4 of them are used on a trailer??

The load rating for 84 is 500kg, so four would give you the 2,000kg needed. But you usually allow a 10% extra and should be aiming at 2,200kg, so 550kg each tyre which equates to a load rating of 87/88. I would not tow the trailer any further without replacing the 16 year old tyres. It is not worth the risk. Best of luck finding that load rating.
You should find everything you need to know here:- Promoting UK Tyre Safety and Driver Awareness

Colin

Thanks for that. I can't find any 10 inch with a rating more than 84. They just don't seem to exist. I think the best I can do is use the 84 rated and make sure I never exceed the limit for my car and forget about the 2000Kg rating. It's almost getting to the point that all I can tow is the empty trailer :LOL: :LOL:. I'll limit my load to 500Kg, which is way more than I would ever tow and just use my son in law's trailer if I need to go higher.

I don't know much about tyre except that as you say they need to be changed as will have degraded and if you were involved in an accident that would be held against you.
I have an Ifor Williams GD4 which is a 4 wheel trailer with a gross weight of 2.5t and empty it weighs 500kg, wheels are 13" however they are at the sides and I think the trailers with wheels mounted under the chassis are usually smaller, can't be certain of that but maybe worth browsing the on line info on Ifor Williams, Erde, etc. to see what's available.

I'm surprised your 2 ltr Civic found it difficult to pull less than 1100kg especially as there's no air drag like with a caravan, something sounds not quite right with that and suggests binding brakes or hubs but you've checked those however might be worth jacking it up and checking again just in case.

If it's 4 wheel get someone to stand on the A frame which will lift the rear wheels and give them a spin. Ditto with the front wheels.

They should spin easily.

Cheers James

I'm surprised your 2 ltr Civic found it difficult to pull less than 1100kg especially as there's no air drag like with a caravan, something sounds not quite right with that and suggests binding brakes or hubs but you've checked those however might be worth jacking it up and checking again just in case.
Trailer is perfect. I have checked everything. The CRV has enough power to pull the trailer, if you give it enough welly :LOL: , but 6th gear is just too high for towing. Last time I towed a trailer years ago, I only had 4 gears. I've found It's just a different driving technique with the Honda. You spend more time in 5th gear if you want to make progress. My nephew pulls a caravan with his one and he says it's the same. Hondas are like that, you have get the revs up to get the most out of it. It doesn't help that I keep it in economy mode :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't help that I keep it in economy mode :ROFLMAO:

That wouldn't help it's only just above limp mode. :ROFLMAO:

It's not easy to manhandle a heavy unhitched 4 wheel trailer if you're on your own as I said mine is 500kg I need to push it around a couple of corners on a gravel drive and it seems to get heavier every day even though I drop it so 2 of the wheels are not in contact :( so best of luck with yours at twice the unladen weight, it would be a lot easier on tarmac or paved areas where the jockey wheel is more useful of course.

It's not easy to manhandle a heavy unhitched 4 wheel trailer if you're on your own as I said mine is 500kg I need to push it around a couple of corners on a gravel drive and it seems to get heavier every day
Fortunately, I have a tarmac drive. I crank up the front, so only 2 wheels are touching and can move it fine, I used to be really impressed with the world's strongest man, where they pull 3 ton loads, I'm just 62Kg and really impressed I can drag a metric ton......slowly. :LOL:

I bought some trailer parts inc a pair of wheels and trailer tyres from a trailer place down the west country, (I can look it up if you need) and they were cheaper than just trailer tyres ordered from tyre fitting places or local trailer shops.
Fast service, friendly and helpful and good quality gear. Mine were 13 or 14 inch wheels.

Ive checked ebay for 8 ply R13 and there are good deals on there too, when I bought my wheels and tyres last year western were cheap, but you might find others cheaper now.

Latest posts

Back