Trailer floor/bed replacement.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I have a 18 by 6' 6" Ivor Williams trailer which I use to haul raw materials and make the larger deliveries on.
Over the years the plywood bed has deteriorated some.
It is still quite solid but looks terrible and care has to be taken as it will soil any pristine light coloured products placed on it.
I am considering covering it with aluminium checkerboard or removing the wood and replacing it with buffalo board.
I'd be keen to hear your opinions.

if the ply is breaking down I would replace rather than cover it, it will keep on getting worse, out of sight.

I have buffalo board on my trailer If I I had to replace it, I wouldn't consider anything else.

I use my trailer for all kinds of things, soil, rubble. I think the aluminium would get damaged and buckle, If the board below was not strong, any fixings might come out. It can also be torn causing sharp points which might damage whatever you put in it. I have seen aluminium used for this type of application and it always seems to come lose somewhere especially if it's done in two sheets. The join never stays flat.

Not knowing what I was doing I used BWP plywood which it turns out isn’t boil or water proof as I soon found out, so I replaced it with phenolic plywood looked the biz, that lasted maybe a year, I wasn’t impressed. I have replaced that with scaffolding boards this time and it seems to be lasting well, my trailer is only a small one but it’s outdoors in all weathers. Ian
Edit, just looked up buffalo board and it turns out that’s a type of phenolic plywood that I used, perhaps it pays to buy a branded board – mine wasn't and probably seal the edges which I didn’t.

Last edited:
My 14ft Ifor Williams bed became tired in places after 20 years - so I decided to replace like for like - with phenolic - mesh faced birch ply. I sealed the cut edges with fibreglass resin (It may not be right, but I had some...)
I suspect in 20 more years, I won't care if the floor is a bit spongy, but I see that isn't your challenge particularly. Mesh side up, it does retain dirt, but I suppose you could always put it smooth side up, and wash it off with soap and water?
I decided not to go for aluminium as it was too slippy.
2 years later, it's still as solid as the day I put it in, depsite being ourside at all times.

My daughter had the floor of her horse trailer replaced with the plastic coated ply similar to pictured, it then had a thick rubber mat on top. Unfortunately they did not treat the sides and after a few years the edges were starting to rot. Horse pee is not kind to wood. The mat and wood shaving used to absorb the pee probably stopped it drying out.

Her current trailer has an aluminium floor with a rubber mat on top.

My 6X4 trailer has a marine ply floor I put on at least years ago then painted with floor paint, it is out in all weathers and I have just had to stick down some lifting plys and repaint. It does take some stick though including shovelling sand etc off it.

possibly OTT for a small trailer but lots of hgv trailers have floors using jarrah (also makes nice bar tops!DAMHIKT) or keruing

Thank you all.
Thankfully it's not a pressing problem, I can live with it in the meantime.
It lives outside so I'll procrastinate until it has a chance to dry out in spring.
Ther'll probably be another post then. :):):)

I have an 8x4 Ifor Williams GD4 twin Axle which I bought second hand probably 20 years ago, it had been well used and the floor was a bit damaged in a number of places but I needed to use it most days carrying equipment, soil, bricks sand, rubble etc. so over 4 or 5 years it got hammered even more and affected by the weather standing outside 24/7.
I was given offcuts of 3mm aluminium treadplate which I fixed using silicone and screws, 3 sections so a couple of widthways joins. That was at least 15 years ago and while the edges have lifted a couple of times needing minor repair it's still going strong.
Regularly jetwashed to keep it clean it looks fine and still solid enough though the original board can't be good, it was always going to be a temporary fix but I'll be selling it on before too long and will leave that to the new owner after telling him about it first of course.

Back