Traditional Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed451

Established Member
Reaction score
Could I please get some input regarding this magazine? I've observed people mention it on this forum, and the "Traditional" part catches my eye since I do most of my work with hand tools. The price, however, makes me cringe..... £45.30 for surface posting and £61.75 for air mail ! That's $99.00 and $134.66, respectively, Canuck bucks! For 1 year! I can buy three years of FWW for that price. I can pay it, but the magazine had better be REALLY GOOD!

Any thoughts, groans, comparisons?

Ed :shock:

Hey Ed!
I used to buy this one but since the death of its editor, Jim Kingshot, the magazine has sadly fallen by the roadside. It is pretty dire, and not worth the investment.
Sorry to be negative but you will be disappointed. :oops:
cheers
Philly :D

Thanks, Philly. I'd sooner get the bad news this way rather than slap down my 100 clams and be disappointed both in the magazine and in my investment.

Ed

They've even recently taken to reprinting old articles from the 80's and 90's to fill up the space!

I'd agree with Philly - you'll be disappointed!

Scott":f4l5x5w6 said:
They've even recently taken to reprinting old articles from the 80's and 90's to fill up the space!
They have? Oh dear. Not learnt from The Woodworker then...

I don't believe Jim Kingshott was ever the editor, was he, Phil? But he was a regular contributor, and about the only reason to buy the magazine. Like John Brown, a published collection of his articles would be well worth having. Occasionally I buy a copy, but I'm invariably disappointed in the content. The traditional aspect seems to only apply to the designs, rather than the tools, or even construction, used. The 'Murrrican Pop Wood has more traditional content quite honestly. If you fancy slapping down 100 clams on some British traditional woodworking buy up some pre-war, or just post-war (up the 1960 or thereabouts, but earlier is better), Woodworker Annuals. A whole year of mags bound in book form and packed with solid information on tool use and construction. Virtually no machine stuff at all pre-war. Okay, so the projects may not be exactly what you want, but the construction behind the style is good quality stuff that applies to all sorts of designs. Plus the style of writing is bound to make you laugh and probably learn more than you ever wanted to about us Brits. :D Well I like 'em anyway - got the 1930 one on order as we speak. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Darn you people! ](*,)
I almost ordered some of those yesterday. #-o I'm still in the process of moving to my new house and have hauled two pickup loads of books over there. I told LOML we cannot move again unless we burn all books. :lol:
Of course it is hopeless, she just recieved a shipment of 8 more books yesterday so I might as well go ahead.

My name is Roger and I'm a bookaholic. :-({|=

Back