Traditional nails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are made in all sizes by a factory in Sweden. Mostly used by boat builders theese days. Unfortunately there is a minimum order of 20 kilos or something like that.

Helvetica":k1pra6ud said:
Does anybody use traditional, cut brad nails? Where can you buy them?

I'm not sure where you are but if you are local to me (South Norfolk) I have a box full of them if you wanted a handfull of them.

Rog

I'm amazed to see that range at Rutlands. I had no idea that there was anyone making copies of forged nails, they do look a bit rough around the edges though ... and I know the square cut end is good for punching through to avoid splitting but it's not much good for clenching.

Here's a couple I made the "real" way ... headed through a block with a domed top to make a concave on the underside of the head to get a nice, tight waterproof connection with the wood. Good for exterior stuff: doors, benches, carts etc.

DSCN0255a.jpg

DSCN0256a.jpg

I say "real" but these are mild steel. I've tried in vain to make them from wrought iron - I can't get the points thin enough before they start to separate into strands.

As for the price ... the Rutlands jobs seem pretty cheap to me - when I think about how long it takes me to make enough for even a small project it makes selling them impossible. Such was the Birmingham/Black Country nail industry, barely viable; even with all the kids involved.

As well as above, If by traditional nails you mean 'rose head' Forge Fast sell them, or just get a blacksmith to make them.
Nails used by farriers also make a good compromise.

They are made for nailer guns and come in strip form. Most often used for nailing sarking on roofs, I used to pick up unused boxes of them on site. If you happen to know anyone on a site, particularly timber frame housing, you might be able to get them...bosshogg :)

Back