traditional carpenters toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
A traditional carpenters or joiners tool box. Is there such a thing? Been wanting to make one for a while and researching on the net for plans for one. Discovered that there are as so many variations and types and while the majority tend to consist of a 'box' with a number of tills, some with cut box lids, others with panel types and even the sizes seem to vary as much and as widely as the types! Then there is the tool chest! Even with all this and considering that most of the craftsmen in the trade has at least one I am perplexed as to the scarcity of drafted plans. Compare this to the similar problem of benches where there is no scarcity of plans and a plethora of books on the subject. Was it always left to the apprentice to design and draft his own or was there 'typical' sort to copy?

Can anyone recommend a good book or drawn plan on making one ... (rather than the history of them). I know there is the anarchist tool chest but I am after a box rather than a chest if that makes sense.

It might be worth your while having a look at The Anarchist's Toolchest by Christopher Schwarz in which he goes into the building of a toolchest in great Detail.

Andy Kev.":2jo074kq said:
It might be worth your while having a look at The Anarchist's Toolchest by Christopher Schwarz in which he goes into the building of a toolchest in great Detail.
He says he in his post he doesn't want that design .......
I know there is the anarchist tool chest but I am after a box rather than a chest if that makes sense.

RogerP":ha1p3bhz said:
Andy Kev.":ha1p3bhz said:
He says he in his post he doesn't want that design .......
I know there is the anarchist tool chest but I am after a box rather than a chest if that makes sense.
Ooops! Missed that bit altogether. :oops:

A traditional Carpenters box for carrying tools around was usually known as a Piano box, nothing really to do with Piano`s just it used a piano hinge to keep the lid on. As to size that's up to you but this is how it usually went.
Get your longest tool, this would normally be you rip saw and make the box long enough for the saw to fit in.
I`ve seen box`s with the end of the saw sticking out but could never see the sense in that.The width of the box should be about 7" the width of the lid about 2", the lid acts as the saw till. As to the height, things to take into consideration you store the planes at the bottom of the box and will have at least one till in the top of the box in between this you have to have enough space to fit a hand brace and any tool rolls you carry.

As you can see the box is made to fit around the tools and not the other way round. The last instruction you received was Don't forget you and nobody else will be carrying this so don't make it to heavy.
Enjoy the project.

I've seen quite a few toolboxes of this sort of design, which I'd consider a fairly traditional toolbox option, I remember a retired local carpenter describing something similar once when I explained I was building a tool chest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-PRICE ... 33998720d0 put 'vintage wooden tool box' into ebay and there are several similar ones.

In fact, this might be what Billy is referring to as a 'Piano box'?

Duncan that is exactly the sort of box I was talking about and as you can see in the link it does use a piano hinge.

Mine's the same. Was bog standard C&G pattern which you made at some point during the course. First dovetails.
Very practical box made to measure so that a hand saw and a panel saw would fit into the lid, and a plane and oilstone would sit side by side in the box.

Hi Sam
The Toolbox Book by Jim Tolpin is a good source for ideas and inspiration, there are some plans to work off too.
Taunton Press ISBN 1-56158-272-7

Hope this helps

Cheers Bern :D

DuncanA":i6jnbpu1 said:
I've seen quite a few toolboxes of this sort of design, which I'd consider a fairly traditional toolbox option, I remember a retired local carpenter describing something similar once when I explained I was building a tool chest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-PRICE ... 33998720d0 put 'vintage wooden tool box' into ebay and there are several similar ones.

In fact, this might be what Billy is referring to as a 'Piano box'?

These come through my local auction sale in amazing quantities - prbbaly 1 or 2 each week

Planes and other big tools (mallets, spirit levels) go in the bottom, saws on toggles on the surface of the drop down flap, and small tools in the drawers. I'd have said two
drawers is common than the single drawer of the eBay example, but 1, 2, and 3 drawer examples are all frequent.

I would regard something like this as fairly typical:

box.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5,928
I am quite like the 'Dutch' tool chest design that has been appearing lately on the web, as I have found the type pictured above a bit small for static storage, and I don't like the hulking great chest types. What I would like to know is the term Dutch used because it is a traditional Netherlands style or is the Americanism of calling things that are German in origin 'Dutch' being applied here - anyone know?

Gareth

t8hants":18kkf61e said:
as I have found the type pictured above a bit small for static storage

It's for taking tools to site (in fact I've seen it called a "site case"). so not intended for storage, but transport.

BugBear

I've been wanting to make this type of tool box for a long time, started one at college but ran out of time, my tools are now kept all over the place, in cardboard boxes and basically anywhere where's a flat surface.

tool box.JPG

This one I saw on Ebay seems to have "Stanley" and "Jobmaster" stickers, I don't know if It's a Stanley toolbox or the owner stuck them on.
840 x 410 x 175.JPG

I don't think I've seen this type in many books, one book had a drawing I think, another had this photo:
carpenterswooden tool box.JPG

I think this type is good if you don't have a permanent workshop, obviously you'd need more than one! They would be small and light enough, even when all the space inside is all used, so that you can actually pick them up and move them around.

I've never understood the appeal of tool chests; too big, too heavy, lots of unusable empty space inside, uses up valuable floor space. If I had a permanent workshop, I would put tool cabinets on the wall. Actually, the type of toolbox in this thread could be mounted or hanged on a wall as well.

Attachments

• tool box.JPG
    tool box.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 5,854
  • 840 x 410 x 175.JPG
    840 x 410 x 175.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 5,851
  • carpenterswooden tool box.JPG
    carpenterswooden tool box.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 5,853
As mentioned, you would make this to fit your own choice of tools, god knows why anyone would need a book or even a course to make a tool box.

JohnPW":2qpeb1gi said:
As mentioned, you would make this to fit your own choice of tools, god knows why anyone would need a book or even a course to make a tool box.
Well yes. There are a lot of them around because they were made as part of a beginner's course in Carpentry & Joinery etc. not a course in tool bpx making. Week 5 in my case.
The box is made as a closed unit with 4 sides of 1/2" solid wood, a single hinge bar and two panels of ply. Then the top is cut out - down the hinge line and top and then the two sides. Th DTs are arranged to leave a fat one where the hinge hits the sides as it will be split in two.

Jacob":39natyny said:
JohnPW":39natyny said:
Well yes. There are a lot of them around because they were made as part of a beginner's course in Carpentry & Joinery etc. not a course in tool bpx making. Week 5 in my case.
The box is made as a closed unit with 4 sides of 1/2" solid wood, a single hinge bar and two panels of ply. Then the top is cut out - down the hinge line and top and then the two sides. Th DTs are arranged to leave a fat one where the hinge hits the sides as it will be split in two.

Perhaps I should have said that you would do a woodwork course (or read a book) to learn how to cut and plane wood, cut joints, fit hinges etc. That would be sufficient for anyone to make a tool box of this type. Therefore there are no plans, books or courses on how to make one.

JohnPW":1cs47yeo said:
I've never understood the appeal of tool chests; too big, too heavy, lots of unusable empty space inside, uses up valuable floor space.

Toolchests were used in the days when induividual craftsman working for a maker each had their own tools. Each chest would
have a good lock. The craftsman would only have to lift the heavy the chest when he changed job.

Sort of analogous to your locker when you were at school.

Quiet different to the site cases earlier in the thread, or indeed the kind of racks or cupboards a modern craftsman with his own permanent workshop would create.

BugBear

Back