Tradesmen...18v Cordless drill recommendations please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they're sister companies, both owned (with many others) by TTS; there's been some changes recently, and some of the Protool tools have been brought under the Festool brand, but AFAIK they're still separate companies, albeit closely related ;)

I'm amazed people are unhappy with the makita li-ion. I bought the 18v combi and impact years ago. I think it was the month they came out and they just won't die! Still on the original batteries. The impacts gearing sometimes slips and grinds, but is fine most if the time. Last year I got a Dewalt 10.8 impact for workshop use. That's a lovely little thing, but I go back to the makita if I've got to drive anything over a 2" 8.

Mar_mite":1c1sn0hb said:
I'm amazed people are unhappy with the makita li-ion. I bought the 18v combi and impact years ago. I think it was the month they came out and they just won't die! Still on the original batteries. The impacts gearing sometimes slips and grinds, but is fine most if the time. Last year I got a Dewalt 10.8 impact for workshop use. That's a lovely little thing, but I go back to the makita if I've got to drive anything over a 2" 8.

Me too

Panasonic drills are fantastic!
I've got a couple of Festool drills that I use 'now and then' but I really find that Panasonic have the edge. Their light, precise, great build quality and their batteries seem to be the best (in my opinion)

Makita? Had a few of their cordless drills over the past and have always been very disappointed for lots of reasons.....

Russ

Last Friday I sent my wonky Makita 18v Cad direct to Makita along with the purchase invoice from 11 months ago. It arrived back today repaired, although they haven't said what, just that it was repaired. Good service. I'm a 2 drill man now (homer)

I think Chippy and Russ have really hit the nail on the head, Makita batteries have gone down hill over time. It looks like they are sourcing their batteries from a cheaper source now. :evil:

mailee":20qjmlzb said:
I think Chippy and Russ have really hit the nail on the head, Makita batteries have gone down hill over time. It looks like they are sourcing their batteries from a cheaper source now. :evil:

Really? They use the same cells as Panasonic :wink:

Well if the ones in my three Makita batteries are the same as the Panasonic ones I must be very unlucky to have those and three Ni Cad batteries give up in one year! they were both used almost daily and never miss treated. On the other hand one of the early Ni Cad's is still in top condition?? I did hear rumours that the latest Makita Li Ion batteries are made in Mexico, not sure how true this is though. :?

I'm surprised no one has recommend Bosch so far.
I'm very happy with my GSR18V-LIn cordless. A lovely quality feeling product that performs excellently.
It also has a THREE year manufacturer's guarantee.

Rhossydd":1fk491ni said:
It also has a THREE year manufacturer's guarantee.

I do quite like Bosch but they don't have the full range of tools I need in one battery format.

Don't get confused between guarantee and warranty. Bosch offer a 3 year WARRANTY but so do Makita. However, neither of these cover batteries or ancillary items such as side handles, etc.

Back