Trade rated 2hp cyclone extractors - what should I do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I am fed up with cleaning the dust from my workshop. I have a startrite triple filter dust extractor and a shop vac. My chip system has died and was useless anyway - nowhere near powerful enough. I also have six extractor fans in the roof (no filters) but a sliding ceiling that obstructs them unless I slide it open (which makes the shop much colder.

Workshop used to be a large commercial quality insulated pigeon loft and is about 12m long by 3m wide. (I wish it was square). Contains: Jet 16" bandsaw, Axminster trade 10" PT, 12" circular sander, router table with Trend T11, medium sized floor standing lathe, grinding station, polishing station, sorby pro electric sharpener, multico 10" circular saw, Fobco pillar drill, chop saw table, and various powered hand tools, 4 " belt sanders etc. I don't plan on buying much more gear - might upgrade a few bits.

I am pushed for space as tool storage and benches take up a fair bit of room. There is a small wood store at the end as well, closed off by a stud wall and doorway.

I would like to install a single extraction unit that will do everything except the hand tools. I am seriously considering the new 2hp Jet cyclone unit or the rather similar 2hp axminster trade unit. Both are around the £1200 - £1400 mark (plus ducting) inc VAT. Jet has a flow rate of 2600m3 versus 2300 for Axminster. I think I will be able to get 10% discount on the Jet on Friday / next weekend. Prices are therefore equivalent.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jcdc-2-c ... tor-102126 http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... tor-508338
Jethttp://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jcdc- ... tor-102126
I can't go bigger as I have a ceiling height restriction. I want rid of the Startrite dust collector.

Do the dust extraction experts think one of these will do the job for an active but not professional woodworker operating part time on my own? Which is the better long term investment? I do not want to buy twice.

will watch with interest...although i am not sure they would be in my budget
have you looked at the warranty on the mentioned items?

Steve

Warranty is similar, but frankly I discount this as Consumer Rights Act confers significant rights that extend beyond most published warranties anyway and at these kind of prices (ie enaough) I would have hesitation using county court action if I had a significant problem. I have found Axminster to be reputable and I would probably buy the Jet from them if I go that route, as long as they price match (since they plaster this on their website they will have a trade description issue if they do not).

i only asked because when i bought my lathe it was a contest between a jet and axi
the axi had a 3yr the jet was only 1 yr
i bought the axi

If you cannot extract to the outside then one of those two units are a good choice. I can extract to the outside so installed the Jet DC1100 outside with 6" ducting I designed the absolute minimum bends. It works well with my 16" Felder combination. As some one put it you see no dust or cats and small dogs around my workshop. If I was making the choice again I would get the Jet you referenced but that was not available at the time. The secret to good extraction is to install the biggest extractor and duct you can and aim for 1000cfm at the point of extraction for table saw, planer and spindle. I get 900cfm which removes chips and fine dust alike. Work on the basis you will lose volume through turbulence in the duct so oversize by 10 to 20%

Ive got the 2hp cyclone, one of the very first few in the country and its brilliant in my 8 x 5m workshop. Will run two 4" lines just fine, but would recommend putting it on 6". For my review search "this really sucks..."

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I can extract to outside as it happens, but my wife is concerned about how it will look. It also greatly increases the ducting runs if I chip and dust collect outside rather then just exhaust, and my assumption was that suction losses will be very significant over a long run. The cyclone (either one) can be shifted about quite easily and I think that may be helpful at times.

Tomit - did you choose the Jet?

Yes mines the Jet 2hp version, got it about 6 months ago when Axi first brought them out over here, and it's been great, not had heavy use as I'm only a hobbyist but extracts from my 12" panel saw, 18" Bandsaw, 12" planer/thicknesser, router table (even down @ 60mm) all just fine, and I can if needed run 2 machines at once. I'd recommend it for a reasonable size shop, if you've got 3 phase and can afford it the larger 3hp model should be an absolute beast.

Cheers, Tom.

this seems such a great expense
surely there is a cheaper option ?
i cant put a price on health, so please don't take my comments wrong
i am seriously looking at options for my hobby workshop
if that expense is needed then so be it
but is there another option?

Steve

Well, G&S timber are saying 10% off on their website, but not honouring this for the cyclone I intended to buy from them today. They are selling at the same price they were earlier in the week and the same as Axminster and others have had up for over a week. I can't help thinking that companies promoting black Friday deals are largely fantasising.

Had a good look at the 2hp Axminster and 2hp Jet today. Decided I needed to see them in the flesh. Also looked at the Axi industrial machine which is about £1700 (and seems to be made of very similar components to the Jet, but clearly more heavy duty). I really don't need continuous all day every day use.

So, from the 2 contenders:
Axminster much easier to move around and frame is far more protective. Proper wheels. Axi clear winner - far better design.
Axi 2300 cubic metres flow v 2600 for Jet. So Jet shifts 12% more air. Jet clear winner.
Axi has 3 year guarantee versus 1 (but these are simple machines - just a big motor and a fan really). Axi clear winner there.
Jet has a much bigger cyclone. And is about 10db quieter. That is significant. Jet clear winner.
Jet has much easier to remove bin. Axi rather fiddly. Jet wins but marginal as Axi bin and dust bag are both bigger.
Jet has remote control, Axi has pressure gauge
Axo can optionally filter down to 0.3 microns, both 1 micron as standard. Axi wins at extra cost.
Axi filter cleaner works better - marginal Axi win.
Axi about £100 cheaper than £1350 Jet (which is on special offer down from circa £1650.
One of the Axi guys recommended the Axi machine, but another one (one of the demonstrators) later subtly suggested the Jet cyclone is superior and he would go for the higher flow rate and lower noise.

After a bit of negotiation bought the Jet and it is delivered next Friday. Reason: flow capability and better connections for hoses. As I had wifey with me (I think to ensure I didn't buy anything else) there is no risk of being told off for this purchase.

at least u made a decision

would u mind me coming and take a look at your setup once it arrives
I know this is a damn right liberty, but a setup in real use outweighs the tool shop
if u are a private \ personal \ don't invade my space person just pm and tell me to go away
not sure I have ever made such a forward request
Steve

I've had the axy machine for a year now. I don't use it full time, just average to heavy hobby use. It does the job well, but it is loud (thinking more of the neighbours than me as I always wear defenders)! And to be honest if the jet machine has a remote with it then it's worth it just for that!!

Back