Tracksaw and workbench questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bosch..

Attachments

• GKT55_GCE_2-web_popup.jpg
    GKT55_GCE_2-web_popup.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6,641
I saw a Mafell in action yesterday and I have to say it is superb. We also have the Festool to compare it with and everyone said the Mafell was better for the money.

They just dont have the same PR machine that Festool do.

The Mafell Jigsaw that can use the track is also a fantastic piece of kit!

My Bosch GKS65 included a dust port adaptor that I connect to my extractor and it produces very little loose dust, unlike my old Hitachi.

Misterfish

mickthetree":1cbgl2vw said:
I saw a Mafell in action yesterday and I have to say it is superb. We also have the Festool to compare it with and everyone said the Mafell was better for the money.

They just dont have the same PR machine that Festool do.

The Mafell Jigsaw that can use the track is also a fantastic piece of kit!
I agree that if you don't want the system that Mafell is slightly better than Festool in value for money.

They are both great saws. However Festool has the edge with the system.

Festool saws, jig saws, and routers use the track and almost all use the plugit power cable this gives the lead to the Festool system.

the Bosch I was talking about was also the GKT55, not the GKS.

Although I've never used any of these systems, it seems clear that Festool tools work as a system, and for professionals that is definitely an advantage. I would almost certainly buy Festool if I were doing this professionally. The extra 30%-50% or so over the Makita and Bosch would be perfectly justified.

However, as much as I would like to get a Festool router, jigsaw, etc, that is not going to happen, as I already have those tools (other brands) and couldn't reasonably justify buying new ones.

So, all things considered, seeing as there are no significant differences between the

1-Makita set (systainer+saw+1.4m track),
2-Bosch GKT55 set (systainer+track+saw) and the
3-TS55EBQ-FS plus (the EBQ has the brake and var. speed features, as do the Bosch and Makita, correct?)

price is going to be the deciding factor.

The best I could find so far was £371 for the Bosch (powertoolworld), £295 for the Makita (from tools4trade and £300 for its) and £451 for the Festool (Axminster).

Or if buying from Germany (check idealo.de), 401€ (~£341) for the Bosch, 346€ (~£295) for the Makita and 514€ (~£438) for the Festool.

So unless I'm missing something, the Festool is roughly 50% dearer than the Makita and 30% more than the Bosch.

Are there better prices than these?

Please bear in mind that I'm not in the UK, so I have to buy online and don't benefit from free p&p.

To follow up on my previous post, Bosch replied to my questions and these are the basic facts:

-GKT55GCE and their new FSN rails are completely interchangeable with the Mafell system (including accessories)
-The FSN rails are not compatible with Festool, Makita, DeWalt
-The saw itself is compatible with Festool-type rails (100%?)

Does anyone have advice on trustworthy retailers selling either the Bosch or Makita for a good price?

1) If you want the best saw then either Festool or Mafell. Remember you'll be using it for a couple of decades if you look after it, so spend the extra now and enjoy. You'll soon forget the 20% you saved on the second tier saw and wish you bought one of the above.

2) In my opinion the Mafell is better than the Festool. More features and the Cuprex motor is superb. Cuts through doors like butter. I bought one a year ago and love it.

3) Mafell IS 'system' compatible. As it fits the Festool track, simply buy the Mafell with the guide rail included, flea bay the track as new, buy Festool track (if you don't have Festool track already. A Festool system with a Mafell saw. Best of both worlds.
Incidentally, the Mafell track jointer for joining tracks together is much better than the Festool so really the Mafell track is better than Festool. Yet Festool has the edge big time on jigs for their tracks and more machines fitting their tracks as mentioned above so it's a no brainer to use Festool tracks really. I can't understand why Mafell don't sort themselves out on this because they are missing out on massive sales because of it.

Interestingly, I have never seen a Festool machine used on a site or shopfit etc anywhere.

Back