Tracklements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was reminded recently of this wonderful old English word which sadly now hardly gets much use. Rapscallion is another favourite.

Just curious to know if there are any other favourite obscure words out there that people value? Perhaps we could have a prize for the best sentence written lovingly with these words ...just to get them back into circulation, as it were?

The slubberdegullion absquatulated on his destrier, fustigating the scallywags, he honeyfuggled his way to freedom.

Of course, for really weird English words, you can try this wonderful site Weird English words

Great link, Roger. And some very amusing words.

With summer hopefully not too far away, a bit of Dwile flonking looks like it might be fun :-k

Paul

For me, sagacity and plethora have always sounded quite beautiful to the ear although I rarely hear them except form my own mouth :?

Also, ubiquitous which is less rare but equally beautiful!

yuk......There are too many words on that site that remind me of Greek School as a boy :wink:

It's always struck me as odd that people now prefer to say, "anti-clockwise" when the ancient word "widdershins" is such a prosaic alternative.

Gill

I like the word mithering esp since my wife whose from Kent doesn't know what it means!

However, 'outwith' drives me nuts but not as much as the addition of an 's' to million or billion when describing a simple number ie seven million(s) (vs millions and millions).

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tony

Tony":1w92z3z9 said:

I'm sorry, but you have spelt this incorrectly. It should be Saga City and it is a city reserved for over-fifties.

An alternative is that it is also Saga City but, this time, it is reserved for sitcom buffs and age is not applicable.

Cheers
Neil

Back