Track vs circular saw + track vs Kreg Accu cut??????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Brian

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi wise folk, Can I request your thoughts on my present conundrum please?

Moved house, sold all my large kit and starting afresh with kit that will work in a single garage with neighbours! Therefore size and noise levels important. I have read many informed threads on the forum about not needing a table saw but for the last 18 years it has been a go to tool for me but I do understand why many now just use track saws. Before I get a small table saw (Ax AC216?) I want to get a track system to cut the large sheets that will be used making the garage ceiling and walls better.

So.....

I need a new circular saw anyway and have decided on cordless and as I am already invested in Makita I plan to get a DHS680Z. I appreciate that Plunge saws are the best solution for track work, but thought I would either try -

- the DHS 680Z with the makita track adaptor and 1 or 2 lengths of track
- the DHS 680Z with the Kreg Accu Cut ( either the XL with is 2.5m long or the single length and the Kreg Rip attachment)

First option is about £340 - £350. The second option is £320 (XL track) and £280 for Accu Cut + Rip. Not looking for cheapest option but not looking to buy a Mafell or similar priced plunge saw!

If it’s just for your garage renovations I’d not pay all that money, even doing it by hand might be better value. However what you want to make afterwards should be driving the decision, if you’re going to do a lot of sheet work etc... I really would buy a good plunge saw, they’re fantastic

Aidan

As Aidan says, think carefully about how you'll use whatever you buy in the longer term. I'm a similar position but already have a tracksaw but thinking carefully about an MFT type of setup or a small table saw.

I'm still not 100% decided on how I'll be working in the future but really need to pull my finger out in the not to distant future.

As an aside the tracksaw is an absolute godsend in lining the garage (insulation and OSB cutting).

Thanks for the responses. The track saw system will initially be used for the garage improvements and after for cutting down large sheet material. I have a covered space at the back of the garage and the plan is to use my 4 plastic saw benches and cut out their before bringing it into the garage. Battery power and just a track will make life easier. Even when I was blessed with a huge workshop and a large table saw I found handling a 8 x 4 sheet difficult. Getting older and workshop less easy to swing the boards around!
Anyone had the chance to compare a full track against the Kreg Acc Cut?

I have one of the cheapest track saws available and it is so far and away an improvement on my circular saw and guide. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

I’d definitely go for a decent track saw then. As I don’t do site work I’m not convinced about battery driven versions as I’d always have a vacuum connected to it (and a good power take off one of them is also a great thing)
Aidan

Back