Track Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many accidents did you have with your cheaper tripods
No accidents but they were pointless as they failed to deliver the objective of using a tripod. There was also a potential for accidents because the leg clamps could be a pain and in certain locations fighting to set up your tripod whilst not falling was not easy. With the Gitzo it was just a breeze, fast and easy to locate without any struggle and good results.

BHwoodworking, why do you say "avoid Dewalt"?

because the rpm is lower than the makita and festool, meaning the cut quality isn't as good, as well as it feeling like the blade is always blunt. the track connection and the track also isn't as stable as the festool/makita and doesn't glide as easily, the depth adjustment isn't as easy to change on the dewalt,compared to the festool and makita, and more of a matter of personal preference, i don't like the plunge mechanism, mainly because its a push motion requiring your whole arm whereas mak and fes, they are more of a wrist action, like a pin hammer. the rails are also wider, and you cant get stuff such as the TSO square

on the positive side though, you can cut both sides of the track, although it is pritty useless because you cant change the side of the blade, its cheeper than the festool, and its bright yellow, meaning its harder to leave lying around to get trod on. it can also run on the festool rails.

oh and the dust collection isnt bad.

The Mafell arrived today, and although I’ve not cut with it yet, first impressions are wow. Very obviously in another league to the Erbauer. Build quality, depth adjustment the first two huge positive differences, and the rails...very nice. They go together lovely, feel straight and secure, much better than the Festool style ones that came with the Erbauer. Overall, I know it was expensive, but I’m pleased and can’t wait to get cutting with it.

Thought I'd post an update, as mentioned I had no previous experience of track saws so I can offer no comparison but I have to say I have had an epiphany moment... Why have I never invested in one of these before!
I have the Bosch and two 1600mm tracks and joining strip - whilst not having needed over a single track yet in my testing the connection is simple and easy, the saw just purrs, seems very well built and the blade it comes with is excellent (although only cut 18mm ply and 25mm MR MDF so far). Dust extraction is very good attached to my shop vac.
For a hobbyist with a small workshop as many others have said I would take a track saw over a table saw (I have a shopsmith with table extensions so can cut full sheets but this means decamping everything from the single garage workshop to the driveway!). There are lots of clever people here and on media platforms who show how to make other various jigs to compliment for cross cuts etc. Couple this with a decent bandsaw and good benches and I have a much better setup now (the shopsmith is for sale).
All in all I'd recommend a track saw and can't fault the bosch, from the research I did the joining mechanism for the tracks is one of the best and not having used a festool or mafell I don't miss them and the quality I've felt from the bosch lets me believe it is superior to the lower end models.
Hopefully this may help others decide.

Padster

Morning all,
Hope everyone had a good Christmas in the circumstances.

I have a small workshop in my garden (16X8) and looking for a track saw as would like to try my hand at making some cabinets.

Any advise most welcome.
I’m a site carpenter and have used all the major brand track saws, many of which are quite serviceable tools. About a year ago I bought the festool ts-55 and like the other festool kit that I own, I found it out-performs other tools on the market: the ease, comfort and accuracy of it stand out.

I think it’s next closest competitor is the makita saw and seeing as the price gap isn’t huge, I’d opt for the festool.

The only downside is the single, long track for it IS very expensive. You can get round this by making your own ply or mdf track for 8’ lengths if needed.

If there’s one bit of wisdom I could impart with regards to tool purchase:
I’ve often regretted not spending enough, I’ve never regretted spending too much.

The only downside is the single, long track for it IS very expensive. You can get round this by making your own ply or mdf track for 8’ lengths if needed.
There's a company in Germany who sell long Festool copy tracks for very reasonable prices...
https://youtool.de/epages/0c1502f0-...d8e-7af47a46af8a/Categories/Seite__Kategorie1I've held off ordering a 3m track as I really doubt that it could arrive in decent shape unless it's strapped to a very substantial piece of timber, if anyone has ordered from them could you let us know how it was packaged?

There's a company in Germany who sell long Festool copy tracks for very reasonable prices...
https://youtool.de/epages/0c1502f0-...d8e-7af47a46af8a/Categories/Seite__Kategorie1I've held off ordering a 3m track as I really doubt that it could arrive in decent shape unless it's strapped to a very substantial piece of timber, if anyone has ordered from them could you let us know how it was packaged?

That is the problem, the shipping and potentially the storage. I am tempted by one of the joint alignment tools.

I ordered a 3m Festool rail from FFX, when I saw the delivery driver walking down my drive I could see the box had a big kink in the middle :(. A quick call to FFX and I had a straight replacement next morning, they gave me the impression it happens all the time.

I ordered a 3m Festool rail from FFX, when I saw the delivery driver walking down my drive I could see the box had a big kink in the middle :(. A quick call to FFX and I had a straight replacement next morning, they gave me the impression it happens all the time.
I think that's why they are so expensive, for every one that is delivered in a satisfactory shape they have to write two off, so you're actually paying for 3 rails to get one good one.

I've got a Makita 3m rail, and I was worried what state it would be in by the time it got to me. It turned up in its own wooden coffin made from some 3/4x1 batten sandwiched between 2 pieces of 9mm MDF. I've just bought a 1.5m rail and that came well padded in a cardboard box.

Could get some useful shorter lengths out of the damaged ones, they probably scrap them.
I was quietly hoping they would say "Keep the bent rail and we will just send out another." but they wanted it back. As it just had a kink in the middle I could have got at least a metre off each end :(
I've got a Makita 3m rail, and I was worried what state it would be in by the time it got to me. It turned up in its own wooden coffin made from some 3/4x1 batten sandwiched between 2 pieces of 9mm MDF. I've just bought a 1.5m rail and that came well padded in a cardboard box.
My 3m Festool was in a cardboard box which had a tile lath down each side on the inside. The laths were very knotty and had snapped where the knots were allowing the rail to bend. Sounds like Festool could take a lesson from Makita on packaging.

Festools longest rails are 5m, wonder how many of them manage to turn up straight!

Back