Track saw rails . . . which one works for my saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I have a cheapie MacAllister track saw which does the job for me BUT I've managed to damage one of the rails such that it unusable (it fell from a height onto concrete and landed on a corner. I have considered cutting 3 or 4 inches off the end to make it usable but that then reduces the amount of track I have (with the two sections joined) and as it is I often have to make 2 cuts on long boards.

So, the question : which rails, preferably budget price, work with the MacAllister? - that's "work" and not "sort of work" which sometimes seems to be the case with other brands when they are reviewed or mentioned. Ideally I'd like rails/a rail that can connect to my existing rail (and the cut down one if I do that)

My saw has the anti-kickback thing disabled as it restricts rail movement. MacAllister doesn't sell rails separately.

I've searched around the forum and YT and haven't yet found the definitive answer - this may be one for @petermillard

@robgul: Don't know myself, as I haven't got one. BUT Peter Millard, member here and most important, posting on YouTube as "5 Minute Workshop" has literally LOADS of info on track saws of all sorts, including (I'm pretty sure) which track fits which saw.

HTH

@robgul: Don't know myself, as I haven't got one. BUT Peter Millard, member here and most important, posting on YouTube as "5 Minute Workshop" has literally LOADS of info on track saws of all sorts, including (I'm pretty sure) which track fits which saw.

HTH
Yep - I menton Peter in my OP above (I'm a subscriber) . . . but scanning his YT videos I haven't found the answer to my question (he's acually twice as active in his workshop . . . it's 10 Minute Workshop :)
:) )

Yep - I menton Peter in my OP above (I'm a subscriber) . . . but scanning his YT videos I haven't found the answer to my question (he's acually twice as active in his workshop . . . it's 10 Minute Workshop :)
:) )

Yup, sorry, I was a bit too quick and didn't read your post fully (AND, BTW, I was also struggling to remember if it's "5" or "15" Minute Workshop)!

BUT, like the post above this one I AM "pretty sure" that one of Peter's vids does indeed cover which track/which saw. Can't remember the name of the vid though, but "I bet" you do find something in his large collection.

I think that Peter will be the only member who has used many saws with many rails. He doesn't seem to be as active on the forum as in the past but you could send him a pm.

He's on holiday at the moment so probably won't respond straight away. However the Macallister is festool pattern rail - Festool, Makita etc. take your pick. The cheapest available is Excel but think it's out of stock at the moment

I think that Peter will be the only member who has used many saws with many rails. He doesn't seem to be as active on the forum as in the past but you could send him a pm.

I think putting the @ name triggers his feed from the forum? - I'll leave him to enjoythe Jubilee weekend and PM on Monday if he hasn't responded.

In the meantime I'll put "the other blade" in my mitre saw and cut down the damaged rail (and annoyingly too I broke one of the green plastic clips that attaches the rail to dogs in my MFT)

Last edited:
Sorry I should have added.. Festool / Makita are compatible but there is a difference. Makita has a little anti-tip lip which is used for angled cuts. The Macallister has this Makita style anti-tip feature, so if you're bothered by that, Makita or Exel would be the ones to get.

Sorry I should have added.. Festool / Makita are compatible but there is a difference. Makita has a little anti-tip lip which is used for angled cuts. The Macallister has this Makita style anti-tip feature, so if you're bothered by that, Makita or Exel would be the ones to get.

A quick look and it seems that the Excel is available for about £32 inc postage - but they only have the short ones - I've asked them if they can join onto the MacAllisters

I have a cheapie MacAllister track saw which does the job for me BUT I've managed to damage one of the rails such that it unusable (it fell from a height onto concrete and landed on a corner. I have considered cutting 3 or 4 inches off the end to make it usable but that then reduces the amount of track I have (with the two sections joined) and as it is I often have to make 2 cuts on long boards.

So, the question : which rails, preferably budget price, work with the MacAllister? - that's "work" and not "sort of work" which sometimes seems to be the case with other brands when they are reviewed or mentioned. Ideally I'd like rails/a rail that can connect to my existing rail (and the cut down one if I do that)

My saw has the anti-kickback thing disabled as it restricts rail movement. MacAllister doesn't sell rails separately.

I've searched around the forum and YT and haven't yet found the definitive answer - this may be one for @petermillard
The MacAllister is a dead ringer for the Makita-pattern rail - my ‘which rails…’ vid pre-dates the Big Mac - complete with the annoying anti-tipping lip. The excel 1.5m rail - Excel guiderail, Excel 1.5m Aluminium Guide Rail for Makita and Festool Plunge Saw - are the ones you want. Excel rails are the closest copy of the Makita rails I’ve come across. 👍👍 HTH P

The MacAllister is a dead ringer for the Makita-pattern rail - my ‘which rails…’ vid pre-dates the Big Mac - complete with the annoying anti-tipping lip. The excel 1.5m rail - Excel guiderail, Excel 1.5m Aluminium Guide Rail for Makita and Festool Plunge Saw - are the ones you want. Excel rails are the closest copy of the Makita rails I’ve come across. 👍👍 HTH P

Great - thanks. Looks like the 1500 is out of stock but they have the 2 x 700 on the shelf - I'll ask when they might have the long one available.

Have to say I find the "annoying lip" on the MacA to be quite a good feature :)

Great - thanks. Looks like the 1500 is out of stock but they have the 2 x 700 on the shelf - I'll ask when they might have the long one available.

Have to say I find the "annoying lip" on the MacA to be quite a good feature :)
I believe the 2x700 rails are a different pattern - more like the Parkside/Einhell saw that the Excel saw is based around, so not a straightforward fit as the left-side t-track on the regular rails is a c-shaped channel on the Parkside pattern.

I believe the 2x700 rails are a different pattern - more like the Parkside/Einhell saw that the Excel saw is based around, so not a straightforward fit as the left-side t-track on the regular rails is a c-shaped channel on the Parkside pattern.
Ah - thanks - I'll check with the supplier. Failing that I'll save up for a Makita rail :)

I don't know if this adds anything to what you know already but yes the Excel 1500 and 700s are different, which is rather annoying actually!

I was hoping that I would be able to join my 2x excel 700s to my excel 1500, but unfortunately you cant, they join differently. Both of them work fine with the saw though (mine is a festool but the macallister use the same track layout as you are aware). I would definitely buy again from excel however and I will purchase another 1500 one day...

I believe the McAllister will run on the Evolution ST2800 rails, but I don't know if they mate with the McAllister rail. Not that you'd need to find out, if you had 2.8 metres if usable track..

I don't know if this adds anything to what you know already but yes the Excel 1500 and 700s are different, which is rather annoying actually!

I was hoping that I would be able to join my 2x excel 700s to my excel 1500, but unfortunately you cant, they join differently. Both of them work fine with the saw though (mine is a festool but the macallister use the same track layout as you are aware). I would definitely buy again from excel however and I will purchase another 1500 one day...
Thanks - yes the supplier did confirm that the Excel 700 and 1500 couldn't be connected - what they failed to answer was whether my MacAllister rail could connect to the 1500. The 1500 is out of stock and any delivery time unknown.

I really want to get a 1400/1500 single rail that my saw will run on AND that I could connect one (or even both) of my MacAllister rails. This all may be a dream!

Thanks - yes the supplier did confirm that the Excel 700 and 1500 couldn't be connected - what they failed to answer was whether my MacAllister rail could connect to the 1500. The 1500 is out of stock and any delivery time unknown.

I really want to get a 1400/1500 single rail that my saw will run on AND that I could connect one (or even both) of my MacAllister rails. This all may be a dream!
I'll take some photos and measurements today of the profile of my excel ones and you can see if that would match your macallister. If that seems ok then all i can suggest is when in stock buy one and see - worst case you have to return it.

Thanks - I'm sure that the long rail will work - I'll just wait for it and as you say if it doesn't work send it back.

Back