Track saw ... drift.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a lot of Corian fabrication and it involves using the rails for cutting with the tracksaw and routing very straight edges and very accurate rebates. The slightest movement of the rail could ruin days of work, so i always hold/ clamp the rails in place.
It's different if I'm just breaking down a sheet of ply or MRMDF, ....just place the rail down and cut away, but solid surface work has to be really accurate...

If i'm just ripping down sheets or resizing, that sort of thing, I don't use clamps. If i'm doing something that needs real accuracy or its a n expensive material then I will use the clamps.

The easyest way for me is place it on two tressles. That way the ends are always available for clamping.

I find the dewalt really grips very well, even melamine. As someone mentioned earlier, dust is the enemy.

Never use clamps on my Makita track saw. Probably would if i was cutting something really expensive though. It grips well to just about any surface i have found.

I cant really help with the tracksaw problem as I dont have one but a cheap way way to drill dog holes is easy.
Make a jig like a bench hook that redgesters against the bench edge. 2 holes drilled in jig the distance apart you want the holes. One guides the drill into bench top and then use a dog as an index pin in that first hole and your guide hole is ready for next hole. Then so on and so on. 19mm or 3/4'' is the usual holdfast hole but I would get hold of the holdfasts first and check the size before going wild with a drill on the bench top. You dont need to obsess with perfectly vertical as almost vertical is fine. If your jig is bored on a drill press then the holes in the bench get a good start.
I found a couple of clips with guys being high and low tec. Both get a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKMYD8jYWWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62y-Dib525c

Regards
John

Latest posts

Back