Tra-la, la-la-la, la-laaaaah!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
My website has had 11382 hits.
I have today received my first ever commission as a direct result of someone seeing something on that they like and are willing to pay for.
I have to make a set of spiral steps again, slightly different size and clockwise instead of clockwise.
1 in 11382. How do the odds compare with winning the lottery, I wonder?
Cheers
Steve

Nice one Steve. I hope that you receive many more.

Regards

Woody

PS I have just had a look at your website for the first time and to say i am gob smacked by your work is an understatement. That maple bed is a work of art.

Steve,

Good news, you must be pleased!

I went back and had a look at your site - saw it before when you started posting here but not since. I think you could probably expect more commissioned work if you revamped the site somewhat.

On the home page it is not immediately clear for instance that you are in business to sell furniture. You have to read down the page to "If you would like to commission a piece" before that becomes evident. The page looks far more like a personal website than a commercial proposition.

Of course, that may be exactly what it is! In that case might be worth considering a separate site to sell your stuff?

Apologies if this sounds like teaching Granny etc.

Hi Steve

Brilliant news. I am so pleased for you.

Cheers
Neil

PS We saw the same Shiraz on offer at 5.99 today, so bought a dozen. Well, it was just amazing wasn't it. :wink:

Steve Maskery":2p2lvcw5 said:
1 in 11382. How do the odds compare with winning the lottery, I wonder?
Cheers
Steve

Chances of getting 4 balls is 14125:1 so about the same as your commision :)

Well done on the commision, bet that feels good!

Cheers

Tony

PS Neil keep a bottle of that Shiraz handy for when I nip up after xmas :wink:

Chris
You are quite right, it is a personal site and I never set it up as a commercial enterprise. I don't regard my woodwork as a job, although I do try to treat each commission in a reasonably commercial way. As I have pointed out before I don't make a profit from my woodwork and it doesn't cost me anything to run my workshop. I treat it as a self-financing hobby, although, of course, for years it cost me in machine and space investment. I'm happy with this arrangement and don't want to try to earn my living this way. Of course, unless the employers of Nottingham wake up to the fact that they have someone on their doorstep with reasonably marketable skills as well as a very expensively-gained MBA on their doorstep (which they have singularly failed to notice for the last year) I may have no choice but to transform my hobby into my business. But that is making it into something I have to do, rather than something I can choose to do, and my dad always reckoned that was his biggest mistake.
I have for some time be thinking of revamping the site, I have several pieces to add since the "new" spiral steps (made 18 months ago). I do have some ideas of how I would like it to look, like a slideshow of works and faster laoding etc, but it's all going to take time and learning new web skills etc etc etc. Tuit.

Neil
WHERE? I'll start the car.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve
I love you library steps! Very tempted to make a set myself. Were you inspired by the Leigh one at all?
Their fancy inlaid dovetails look good, but I prefer your rail and stile construction for the frame. Makes it look lighter and more graceful.

Well, you look very pleased with yourself in the photo - and I've made up some construction drawings combining elements of yours and Leighs.
Cheers

Hi Aragorn

I wish I could take credit for the design but I can't. I saw a pic in a magazine and went from there. I've just bought the timber for the new one today. I have none spare so can't afford to screw up. If you are seriously panning to make them, may I suggest looking up GW141 would be helpful. If you don't have it, say three Hail Marys and then ring:

Back Issues Dept
Magazines: £3.50 inc pandp
Tel: 0870 444 8472

It's a satisfying project to do.
Cheers
Steve

Back