TR6 dashboard finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

Not quite sure if this should be in finishing advice.

A friend has bought a Triumph TR6 which has a veneered ply dashboard.

The varnish, (Polyeurethane?) is cracked and discoloured in places, so refinishing is required.

Does anyone know what varnish would have been used and how best to strip it without damaging the veneer?

Cheers

Dave

I've never done a complete dashboard but I have done the ski slope, the bit the gear stick sticks out of, on a Jag XJS.

On this the varnish was cracked and some small areas of the veneer had peeled off. I tried sticking it all back together, sanding and re-finishing, but it looked terrible!!

In the end I belt sanded down to the bare metal, re-veneered it, and re-finished it with high gloss polyurathane.

Don't know what yours looks like but I suspect you may be happier with the results if you re-veneer and re-finish.

Good luck,

I did the same on a riley elf for someone
the varnish was soo thick it was just like rustins plastic coating
But in the end I had to reveneer it and redo in RPC

Ian

I think polyurethane was considered a marine finish at the time. We had a Herald, with a similar dash. I'm fairly certain it was French polished, but possibly sprayed with cellulose varnish. The plywood 'end grain' was filled and smoothed, and finished to look black (or very dark brown).

You might do either. Almost thirty years ago, I finished our bed head in spray-can cellulose varnish, cut back with T-cut between coats (very simple pine design). It's held up very well indeed, but I guess it doesn't get the weather that a TR6 dash would.

If it's in good enough condition, can you use it as a template for another one?

E.

Afternoon Eric

I haven't see it, but I doubt that it would have been French Polished. Sounds a bit expensive.

I think Cellulose laquer is a better bet, partly 'cos of the shorter drying time.

I suggested using the existing one as a template on plank of good quality engineered flooring.

He (the owner) is going to try sanding first. If he can remove the finish and leave the veneer, he'll refinish it. If the veneer gets spolied, I think he'll get it re-veneered.

Cheers

Dave

I think you might find that they were a 2 pack lacquer or one of the epoxy coatings. These were used to give the deep sheen on a lot of dashes and trim. :wink:

No skills":12bg7ocu said:
Eric The Viking":12bg7ocu said:
(on bedheads) but I guess it doesn't get the weather that a TR6 dash would.
E.

That made me chuckle.

:)
Actually, I think it's still got 20-year-old parrot droppings down the back. Ours used to get lonely, and preferred the bedhead to sleeping on her own in her cage. Bringing the wife a morning cuppa tended to be 'interesting' though, as parrots like the taste of tea, but have difficulty appreciating 'hot' ahead of time. Defensive tactics were required...

E.

Back