TPI for a hand mitre saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I've dug out my ancient Draper hand mitre saw (the one with the frame and guides etc) and need to use it to cut some pine mouldings approx 25mm square (with some slots routed out) with 45 degree angles. The blade is knackered from cutting some tiles :(

What is the recommendation for the tpi count for softwood - blades come in 14, 18 or 24 please?

I've just checked mine and I think it's 18. I've found it fine enough for small mouldings and not too fine for bigger pieces. So although the very fine 24tpi would, in theory, be best for your current project, the compromise middle choice will also be successful.

Thanks. It seems that I have an 18tpi blade fitted in the saw from whenever I used it last (and it's been abused with cutting mitres on some ceramic tiles) - I did a test cut today using the undamaged part of the blade and that seemed fine - and a 14tpi brand new one. So, I think I'll order an 18tpi as 24tpi really seems to be at the hacksaw end of things for cutting metal?

Back