Toy box lid hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to be making a kids toy box out of 18 mm birch ply and was just wondering what people thought would be the best hinges for the lid?

I am thinking of using the Sugatsune soft close lid stays as below and see they have used concealed type hinges, I imagine people will sit on the box and not sure if concealed hinges would be up to the job?

https://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/collect ... eg-opening

All the cranked type flush hinges I have seen look really cheap quality and if I use butts I will be screwing in to the edge of the birch ply when I fit the hinges on the back panel.

It's quite a modern/Scandinavian type look they want so small, simple, hidden hinges would be ideal.

The lid is about 1m long x 450mm deep.

Thanks in advance, Doug

Doug71":3h2kfxwz said:
All the cranked type flush hinges I have seen look really cheap quality and if I use butts I will be screwing in to the edge of the birch ply when I fit the hinges on the back panel.
Doug
I have successfully used butts with an MDF door. I prepared the MDF edge by letting in a piece of 'proper' wood. Much in the manner of a biscuit. The edge of an 18 mm ply panel would surely take a piece 12 mm, or even thicker. A quick slot with the router and a glued slip should take screws well.
HTH xy.

How about a piano hinge?

Regards the stay, I also like the one Bob linked from Hafele, I've tried verious types and for me that's the one that operates the best for me.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Doug71":2y12aqo2 said:
Callum":2y12aqo2 said:

These would be perfect apart from the price, £40 each :shock:

The customer is now talking about having the lid in two halves, I don't think the job will stretch to £160 worth of hinges :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made a big bench/box to live outside the front door and take all our boots, shoes etc. I definitely made a mistake in not having two halves to the lid - firstly you want to sit on on it to take your boots off, and then be able to put boots in the box. Secondly, being a clear flat surface, it attracts random junk like flies on the proverbial - all of which has to be moved off to get your boots out, then put back in place, because you can't have it scattered around on the floor, apparently. I image in a toy box will have a similar lifestyle. I used piano hinges on mine, but it is solid (scaffold plank) wood, and is up against a wall, so no issues with the lid opening too far.

Jonathan S":1wsdrp8b said:
How about a piano hinge?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Anybody have any links to decent piano hinges, all the ones I come across are really lightweight and wont take a suitable screw without countersinking deeper (and then I countersink too deep and the screw goes right through #-o)?

Latest posts

Back