touch control hob - with cats?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, No I don't mean you get a cat with each hob! :lol:

We are about to redo our kitchen, and I am taken by these smooth electric hobs, no button just touch control. (note, we cant have gas so must be elec).

a) has anyone any experience of these
b) is it possible for the cat to jump up and walk over it, and turn it on with her pads?

It's the missus worrying y'know...

any help much aprreciatated as usual.

kind regards
Woody

Have had one of these installed for a client and on that particular model the rings only got hot if a pan was on them not if you put your hand there.
Don't know if they are all like that.

Dom

We have one and are very pleased with it. I hate knobs on hobs because it is so difficult to clean oil splashes from them. I would say it would be very difficult for your cat to activate it by jumping on it. I would hope the cat wouldn't jump on it while it is in use (would probably do that only once :shock: :shock: ). And when it is not in use wouldn't you turn off the power via the switch on the wall in any case?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have a Neff touch control hob - absolutely the best I've ever had, including gas ones too (it's faster!).

I cannot remember what the name of the type is, however, it's the type where the hob only heats when there is a pan with a magnetic base on the ring.

thanks guys, any others?

I'm fairly certain the method a couple of you mention is "induction". Absolutly fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but beyond my means at this moment :(

Fried cat anyone???? :lol:

woody

Pecker":5t0dy9u0 said:
I'm fairly certain the method a couple of you mention is "induction".

Ours is the other sort - gets hot without a pan on it. After you switch it off a red 'H' lights up until it has cooled down (not that your cat would be able to read that :roll: ). Incidentally, our cat has never shown any inclination to jump up on the hob - does yours?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Pecker - we have one of these and I'd say that it would be quite tricky for the cat's paws to inadvertently turn it on because on ours it is a multi-part action. There is the master switch that you have to hit first. Then you have to select which hob you want to control. Then you have to touch the control again to increase the heat.

The main downside is that, unlike analogue knobs, there is only a finite number of settings (at least on ours which has 9) and sods law says that the temperature that you want is midway between two levels.

thanks one and all. I've discovered the one I want has a safety lock feature to prevent this kind of accident.

I don't allow cats up on the worktop, but sods law says she gets up there when we're not about...

thanks

Woody

Back