Tote Sport

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm: nice work: that's a great 'Alf's Really Superbly Engineered' Tote there... :twisted: :lol:

Alf, that is one beautiful and curvatious handle. Very feminine, if I may say, compared to the more masculine LVs. Perhaps Rob will bring out a new Alf line :D

I have only had the new handles since this past weekend. Aesthetically, I prefer the old ones. Practically? I don't know yet. They feel different. The new ones are definitely more bulky. I can understand why you would want something slimmer.

Anyway, goodonya for both your innovation and artistry. =D>

Regards from Perth

Derek

Shady":1st7t5ij said:
that's a great 'Alf's Really Superbly Engineered' Tote there... :twisted: :lol:
Shady, mayyoubeforgiven... [-X :roll: :lol:

Ta, Derek. I must say I'm moved to go hunting for a defunct spade bit next, having seen your awl and knife set. Very nice indeed. =D>

Cheers, Alf

not too shabby Alf... I had my doubts when stain was mentioned... but.. yea... not too shabby at all...

ALf
great looking handle. you seem to have a talent with the rasp and file. very nice curves. If you would like to continue the practice (so as not to lose your touch) I have several Stanleys that could use handles and totes. :D

Derek wrote,
Alf, that is one beautiful and curvatious handle. Very feminine, if I may say,

Aye, aye, SMOOOOthly does it! :lol:

Alf, thanks for the side-by-side. I can really see how much slimmer the new handle is.

Andy

Alf":3s25zn18 said:
Okay, bolt angles: L-N 20° and curvaceous old Stanley 29° (just 'cos one was there and handy to measure)

Thanks for the measurements Alf. Now I'm just wondering where I can come up with a LN tote. :-k

Rob Lee":3cmry14g said:
Hmmm....

Would this mean that the medium shoulder is a type of BURP ?( :oops: -'scuse that)

(Bevel - up Rebate Plane.... :lol: )

Rob

:lol:

Well . . . I was kinda reserving BURP for the forthcoming router plane. I see a quandry of sorts coming . . . Maybe the shoulder plane could be the bevel up shoulder trimmer?

what about the bevel up large shoulder?

GO BULLS !!!!

wait . . . they "went" when Jordan left . . .

Great article Alf and that's how woodwork magazines should do it as clearly as you have. Drilling the hole on the preformed piece is clearly the best way. Some do all sorts of skew wiff operations on the drill press. Would anyone like to give any further comment on the finishing of plane handles and totes. Traditionally it is shellac I think, but several coats of Danish and tung seem to give impressive results. Also, when I sand down old handles the thick stain and lacquer disappears and I am left with pale yellow often that needs to be restained and built up. I dip and do not brush stain on. Cheers.

Welcome and an interesting first post on a thread that's nearly seven years old (if me sums is right) - Rob

Ooo, visited by the ghost of Threads Past. I'm feeling all Dickensian now. The utterly horrifying part of this is that my other Veritas planes are still waiting to have their new totes. :oops:

And Tony, you didn't know my secret Normite shame? The 'Rat was the thing that got me into woodworking fora all them years ago. We used to have extremely long and winding threads on trying to make the thing work. I still have it, despite coming very, very close to selling it this year. Again.

Excellent and a big improvement I'm sure. I've heard so many criticise the tote shape on those Veritas... it doesn't even look right.

I was not keen on the QS handle, so I made a new one from Bubinga.
P1010873.jpg

P1010872.jpg

Back