Total Beginner, cross cutting and tear out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culp

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum and woodworking. I've done a bit of DIY woodworking but I want to build my skills a bit. I'm planning to make a fairly simple box cabinet to hold a tv video recorder. I've got a design I'm happy with. In order to make the panels for the sides, top and shelves I want to join a series of pine planks along the edges with glue and dowls. I have a beginners question. I need to cross cut the planks. With a hand saw. I have a cheap circular saw but it seems a bit too brutal for the job. I've invested in a finer panel saw than the 7 teeth per inch hard point saw that I had for about £5 from B&Q but I'm still getting the grain tearing along the cut. How do I prevent this?

Hi Culp
Welcome to the Forum
FWIW I think you are going about this the right way. Learn a new hand technique for a new product.
To reduce tearout you can tape the cut with making tape. This will support the fibres as you cut and give you a cleaner finish. Obviously, the finer the saw, the better the finish, too.
Way to go!
Steve

Try this:

Use a try square, or a steel ruler if you don't have one. (You do need one)
Alternatively, the back edge of the saw may do.

Lay it across the wood, where you want the cut to be. Run a knife (eg a Stanley knife) along the straight edge. This severs the wood fibres that were tearing up.
Continue the cuts around the back and underside of the wood.

Try again - you should get less tearing.

AndyT that has gone on my list of top tips.
A lot of this basic stuff is so simple as long as somebody tells you.

AndyT":2mn02dmu said:
Try this:

Use a try square, or a steel ruler if you don't have one. (You do need one)
Alternatively, the back edge of the saw may do.

Lay it across the wood, where you want the cut to be. Run a knife (eg a Stanley knife) along the straight edge. This severs the wood fibres that were tearing up.
Continue the cuts around the back and underside of the wood.

Try again - you should get less tearing.
Andy this tip gets the thumbs up from me. It is so obvious now you have pointed it out. =D>
Roger.

Back