TOS SVITAVY Lathe Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a TOS SVITAVI lathe chuck (Designation on the box is IUS 100/4-2-M1) which came with my current lathe that I bought secondhand on Gumtree. I was planning on upgrading my Lathe to either a Record Power DML320 or an Axminster AC355WL but quite like my current chuck - does anyone happen to know if my lathe chuck will fit either of the lathes that I am consideringor would I be as well getting rid of it at the same time as my old lathe?

Also, does anyone have any experience of the two lathes that I am looking at? I have made a few projects on my old lathe now but would still class myself as a novice eager to learn with a budget somewhere around the £500-600 mark.

Thanks

David

That would appear to be a 4 jaw scroll chuck with an ISO back plate.
If so, then you can purchase a new ISO backplate to suit most wood work lathes so you should be ok for your new lathe.
Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.21_21h45m33s_004_.jpg

One major caveat though, that would appear to be a chuck normally supplied with metal working jaws which have limited safe use for the bulk of wood turning projects.
There is a slight chance that you may be able to get new jaw carriers (say from "The Toolpost") if the scroll is the same dimensions as the 'Versa Chuck' that will fit to enable wood turning auxiliary jaws to be fitted. You would really need to visit the store and physically check which I guess is not practical from Aberdeen.

I would say your best bet is to let it go with the lathe and start again with a dedicated Wood Turning Chuck

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.21_21h45m33s_004_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.21_21h45m33s_004_.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 370
Thanks for the reply. The chuck actually came with wood turning jaws and so I’m fairly relaxed on that point - my concern was more whether I’d be able to mount it which sounds like it might be doable with an ISO backing plate which I’ll look into.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Dave

Back