Torsion Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to build a torsion box 800 * 1800mm in size as per attached file. I want to place castors on the corners hence the missing parts. Would this affect the overal strength of the box. The use will be the base of my new workbench which will contain a table saw and router, with plenty of drawer and cupboard space.
I dont know how to add a file so here is a link to another http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=226864#post226864

I couldn't get your link to work. I've made a torsion box base for my mobile saw cabinet. It's not good practice to attach castors to the upper skin of the box, because this can stress the lateral ribs and more or less defeats the purpose of the torsion base. You can find my effort here if you're interested. HTH

Ray.

Hi Ray

What a timely posting. I am just about to embark on a couple of oak veneered mfd desks using torsion box construction.

The skin will be 9mm mdf with canary woodwood. I have Steve Maskery to thank for the design but the dado idea is a really good refinement.

Thanks again
Neil

Hi Dick

It's a way of having a strong construction with less weight.

If you have a look at the fourth photograph in Ray's link and imagine that the side facing you is trimmed with oak you would then think that a very thick piece of timber had been used. In fact, in my case, it will only be 9mm oak veneered mdf top and bottom but with canary whitewood in the middle giving stability and strength.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Neil

Can I ask why a hardwood, even if just poplar?

edit: oh, canary whitewood isn't the same as canary wood which is yellow poplar. It is magnolia instead. Anyway, question still stands. Why not just MDF if the (most of) the rest is that anyway?

Jake
There is indeed no reason why you cannot use MDF. But one of the great advantages of using torsion box construction is to create strength with LESS WEIGHT. This really becomes an issue when the finished item is built and you are struggling to get it out of the workshop. Been there, done that.

Canary is both cheap and light, whereas MDF is only cheap. By all means use MDF if you want, just hope you are feeling strong.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Jake

Sorry for not making the weight issue clear.

Canary Whitewood is just so light, I can hardly believe that it is a hardwood. It also works very well.

Cheers
Neil

Wasn't poplar (ok, black poplar) what Leonardo da Vinci used for all his fantastic structures (like the dome of Florence's --- correction MILAN cathedral --- cathedral?) because it was so light and strong? Still sands up wooly, though :cry:

Scrit

Scrit":2bwa8v26 said:
Wasn't poplar (ok, black poplar) what Leonardo da Vinci used for all his fantastic structures (like the dome of Florence's cathedral?) because it was so light and strong? Still sands up wooly, though :cry:

Scrit

Scrit,
Dunno about the wood but the architect was Brunelleschi

Newbie_Neil":3q6bh096 said:
Hi Jake

Sorry for not making the weight issue clear.

Not at all, I was just curious.

Canary Whitewood is just so light, I can hardly believe that it is a hardwood. It also works very well.

Balsa is a hardwood too, of course. It's just quicker and easier than saying deciduoustreewood.

How cheap is it, by the way, I've never looked at it. Compared to pine?

That's about 0.55 cubic feet - makes it cost around £26/cube ex. VAT. I'd have expected poplar to cost a bit less than that.

Scrit

2 * (8 * 12) * 5 * 1 / (12 * 12 * 12) = 0.55556

(£ 17 / 1.175) / 0.5556 = £ 26.04 ex VAT

That's what the spreadsheet says. Cube measure, not BFD

Scrit

Latest posts

Back