Tormek T7 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have resharpened my Record smoothing plane blade a couple of times since getting the T7, however I now see I have got a very much convex shape to the blade.

I think the convex is too great how do I correct the blade to squareness and then get a slight convex finish?

I can only assume that your stone must be concave across the width and that you have not been sliding the iron across the (nearly) ull width of the stone.

Dress the stone flat and true to the guide bar then use the plane iron fixture to run the iron over the full width of the stone until it is back to square.
Add the concavity to want by applying a little more pressure at the ends of the stroke.

hth

Bob

Using a Tormek to grind a square blade is a bit of an art, though Bob 9f is right in describing what's happened. A small 50mm square is also indispensable to check that the blade is being ground square as it can then be done without taking it out of the grinding jig...don't assume that just 'cos you're pushing it back and forth across the stone it'll come out square, it won't. Subtle finger pressure is needed on the jig to ensure that the grind is square - Rob

Also, if you mark the bevel with a permanenet marker pen, it enables you to see how the grinding is going and whether you have the blade square in the jig.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I always mark mine as Paul has suggested - that way even if you have a high spot on the wheel you only need to play the blade across that bit watching the line to achieve a square grind.

rod

Thanks all, I suppose its a learning and skill operation.

If I put blue line on the backside at the sharp edge of the blade perhaps I will see when I am digging in too much at sides as well.

Back