• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

TORMEK or ULTIMATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of selling my Tormek T-7 and jigs to get a Ax Ultimate edge trade which I think will suit me better, but I've never used the belt type sharpeners.
Pro's and con's please, for general woodworking tools but mainly turning

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
The main pro : Ultimate (with coarse belt) will reprofile (or repair) tools much quicker than the Tormek.
Con: The cost of replacing belts compared to the life of the Tormek wheel. That'd depend on how much use it gets. I've had the same ceramic 120 belt on my pro edge for about 2.5 months so far (with a lot of use). Stationary, it feels a bit worn but still cuts very well.

The only thing I don't like about my pro edge, compared to a bench grinder, it chucks dust/fillings everywhere. A few strategically placed magnets or up stands can remedy that though.

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
The main pro : Ultimate (with coarse belt) will reprofile (or repair) tools much quicker than the Tormek.
Con: The cost of replacing belts compared to the life of the Tormek wheel. That'd depend on how much use it gets. I've had the same ceramic 120 belt on my pro edge for about 2.5 months so far (with a lot of use). Stationary, it feels a bit worn but still cuts very well.

The only thing I don't like about my pro edge, compared to a bench grinder, it chucks dust/fillings everywhere. A few strategically placed magnets or up stands can remedy that though.
Ed Oliver of olivers woodturning did demo me the diamond belt sometime ago and I was impressed with that but pricey

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I recall watching Martin Saban Smith reviewing the pro edge. He said he'd had a diamond belt on for a few years (might have been 5) and it was still going strong, but the initial outlay is painful. I think the diamond belt is somewhere around 160-180 grit, great for sharpening.

I've done a lot of re profiling with a 60 grit on my pro edge, speed wise it feels the same as high speed bench grinder but the heat generation is a lot slower with a belt.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Using a belt will give you a flat bevel rather than the concave bevel obtained from a wheel. Not normally a problem unless you are used to honing the bevel with a stone.