Tormek Grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter59

Reaction score
Hi all
I have used a tormek water cooled grinder to sharpen my tools for many years, and it has been great. However it is now on its last legs and I am thinking about replacing it with a T8 or T4. Any thoughts on whether it is worth getting the more expensive T8? I am not a professional turner, just an hour or two each day. Also...I wonder if a cubic boron or similar wheel might be better, to avoid having to redress the aluminium oxide wheel that comes as standard?

I stopped years ago using my Tormek for turning tools because of having to re-dress the stone as you say Peter, instead I bought a Sorby Pro Edge just for turning tools.
If cubic boron wheels had been available back then I would have definitely gone done that route or even a diamond wheel, it would be no more expensive than having bought another sharpening system.

I have been using a water cooled wheel for a few years but recently bought a pro-edge and the difference is amazing. Others may disagree but it is so much quicker and easier to use IMHO.

You can get a T8 custom which is just the machine no stones or jigs and then get a tormek diamond stone. You can use your existing jigs etc

That’s something I’ve never heard before @Phil Pascoe, 🤔 I know of a few professional turners who use them & have even demonstrated them at my local club.
A quick google doesn’t bring up anything but it would be interesting to find out more, though purely academic as I’m happy with what I have.

I read it somewhere in a discussion on purchasing wheels - someone was comparing a CBN wheel to a diamond one and was advised not to consider the diamond one as they are unsuitable for HSS. I have no personal experience.

Incidentally, I've met loads of turners who use ProEdges, but I've not met one who uses a Tormek.

I have no idea I do not turn enough to know. Two points to consider Nick Agar is promoting Tormek and their Diamond wheels. Second I have seen somewhere someone running a CBN on a Tormek

@woodbl
I read it somewhere in a discussion on purchasing wheels - someone was comparing a CBN wheel to a diamond one and was advised not to consider the diamond one as they are unsuitable for HSS. I have no personal experience.

Incidentally, I've met loads of turners who use ProEdges, but I've not met one who uses a Tormek.

I’m the same in that I don’t know many who use the Tormek for turning tools, I believe @woodbloke66 of this parish does, not that long ago he posted about buying a diamond stone.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/tormek-coarse-diamond-wheel-query.115765/
I wonder if he bought one how he’s getting on with it.

CBN performs better at high speed grinding than diamond, At a guess it may be a translation of better at high speed to better at HSS.

You can use the bench grinder kit tormek make to use their jigs on any powered grinder or linisher, so if you’ve invested in those you can still use them when changing grinder

At the speed produced on a bench grinder, the heat of grinding may cause the carbon in a diamond wheel to react with the iron in the steel being ground, which ultimately depletes the diamond so the wheel "wears out". The same reaction happens at a much higher temperature on a CBN wheel so in effect, the wheel lasts longer even though CBN isn't as hard as diamond. For wet grinders, the heat isn't a factor because they are water cooled so the choice is for the hardest substance - diamond!

I used a Tormek, for a number of years as a cabinet maker, but when I took up woodturning about 3 years ago, all the problems with the Tormek (messy, very slow to reshape/sharpen tools, and, finally , not being able to change the stone because of a rusted spindle) got to me, and recently I bought a Sorby Pro Edge. It was a revelation. I think it’s fantastic; quick and easy to use, it’s a matter of seconds to restore an edge. I wouldn’t have another Tormek given me.
I am not sponsored by Sorby!
D.

I bought a CBN wheel a couple of months ago to use on a Record 8 inch grinder. A much better edge than the 40mm White wheel. The CBN wheel removes less steel from the tool when sharpening, so tools should last longer. CBN wheels aren't cheap but, in my opinion, are worth it.

Dave

Sorby pro Edge, had for about 4 years now, not one problem. The thing you will have to learn is how fast it is at regrinding an edge compared to a wet grinder. Belts last a good while.

Thanks all for input. I am looking at pro edge videos now! Is it easy to put a radiused edge on a skew chisel with this system?

Diamond is fine for HSS if kept cool (so slow and wet basically). If you use diamond at high speed on steel the diamond dissolves into the steel. This is why CBN wheels are used.

EDIT: Just seen someone else posted the same thing, sorry.

Thanks all for input. I am looking at pro edge videos now! Is it easy to put a radiused edge on a skew chisel with this system?
I find it very easy, I free hand sharpen on the Pro edge & with the skew I just move the handle side to side whilst holding the blade on the toolrest with my thumb so it can pivot to give my skew a radiused edge.

Hi all
I have used a tormek water cooled grinder to sharpen my tools for many years, and it has been great. However it is now on its last legs and I am thinking about replacing it with a T8 or T4. Any thoughts on whether it is worth getting the more expensive T8? I am not a professional turner, just an hour or two each day. Also...I wonder if a cubic boron or similar wheel might be better, to avoid having to redress the aluminium oxide wheel that comes as standard?
The
Hi all
The Pro Edge is great for turning tools - great bevel on gouges especially and much easier to use than any wheel system I've tried.

Latest posts

Back