Tormek Grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for input. I am looking at pro edge videos now! Is it easy to put a radiused edge on a skew chisel with this system?
As Doug B says,
I find it very easy, I free hand sharpen on the Pro edge & with the skew I just move the handle side to side whilst holding the blade on the toolrest with my thumb so it can pivot to give my skew a radiused edge.

The pro edge allows you to shape using just the platform for quite a lot of shapes.

ProEdges are not the answer for everyone. I know extremely proficient turners who refuse to use them and prefer six inch wheels worn down to four and a half or five inches as they are used to the hollow grind. I also know extremely proficient turners who swear by them.

As Phil points out, not for everyone.

The pro edge is fast, so delicate edges easy to burn the edge until you get used to it. For turning, HSS steel will not lose its temper so quickly, so more forgiving. If you want hollow grind, from what I hear go the CBN wheel route (not had one so can't really comment! ). If you don't want sparks, (as in you have limited workshop/grinding space and produce a lot of fine dust) then a wet system might be better for you...but. I see you are in SW France. I work in Scotland but I have my house (er perhaps that's to kind, my project) in Dordogne. I don't know about you but winter I have seen -5 to -10, and you have to remember to keep that stone (and your hands!) from freezing. I would like a wet grinder for my carving knifes and delicate chisels, but I could never part with my pro edge.

Back