Tormek Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read Charley's review on the Tormek, but am seeking advice on which model to buy. A saving can be had by going for the smaller 2006 over the 2005. I will only be sharpening chisel's and plane irons. I am not a turner or carver so the use is fairly straight forward. Will the 2006 be sufficient?

In my opinion the larger model is better, only because with its 10" wheel it has a greater radius and, therefore, leaves a less pronounced concave ground surface, thereby providing more support to the cutting edge of the tool. I use a 10" Tormek and find it excellent.

Cheers,

Trev.

i've been using the smaller version for a couple of years now and find it ideal.
I didn't need the larger wheel or motor and find it handles everything I throw at it which are chisels and planes.
Cant quite justify the cost of the attachment for my PT blades however.
Its a very worthwhile piece of kit to have in the workshop,,very easy to use, quick to set up and labour saving.
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Hi FTC

Is there a bit of model number confusion going on here? It was my understanding that the 2005 and 2006 were both the larger model but the 2006 was the later version with the threaded adjustment on the rest included as standard. I thought the 1205/1206 was the smaller model.

I personally have the 2006 and I wouldn't really want to be using a smaller one now I have it but I don't have any practical experience of using the smaller one so I couldn't say for sure. It's just a feeling I have.

Sorry that's not overly helpful! :)

I sharpen all kinds of stuff on mine.

If your woodworking is likely to grow and diversify over the years it might be worth getting the larger one (??). Just a thought.

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in wheel size; this non-Tormek using example of mankind manages with 6" x 1" wheels without any fuss. :wink:

Better to worry about the water flying about, the s-l-o-w speed, the fact you have to spend all that cash and still need a fine stone to get a good edge, spending the same again on jigs and fixtures to justify spending all that money in the first place... well, you get the idea.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan. Could you tell? :whistle: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Gill! Top bunk in the bunker, please, and call me at 7... :lol:

Alf - I'm not sure if the bunker is open to those who criticise the Tormek :p . (Just joking... the bunker provides sanctuary for all) You'll have to bring your own pasties, though.

We've had the 8" wheeled Tormek 2005 for a few years and it's given superb service. Obviously, a 10" wheel will have the advantages Trev describes, but that doesn't mean the 8" model won't meet your needs.

Gill

Alf":2d4ykb6c said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in wheel size; this non-Tormek using example of mankind manages with 6" x 1" wheels without any fuss. :wink:

Better to worry about the water flying about, the s-l-o-w speed, the fact you have to spend all that cash and still need a fine stone to get a good edge, spending the same again on jigs and fixtures to justify spending all that money in the first place... well, you get the idea.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan. Could you tell? :whistle: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Exactly what I wanted to write - but more eloquently put

Why not get a couple of waterstones, a cheap bench grinder and keep the bank balance healthy? Works for me

FTC":3sz6bigi said:
Sorry got my numbers wrong its is 1206 and 2006!

One's a freephone and the other's premium rate?

Whoops! Wrong thread :oops: .

Gill

Alf and Tony,
If you use cheap bench grinders, what sort of jig do you recommend to get accurate bevel angles an chisels and plane irons? Also, is overheating not a problem with tempered steel on a high speed grinding wheel, as in it won't hold an edge so well?

George

Hello,

I've had the little Tormek for a number of years now. I feel the need to pronounce the name with an exaggerated Swedish accent.

I'm very happy with it, it's been reliable and I find it gives a fine enough edge (very fine actually) for everything that I need (once you've honed with the leather wheel, I don't see how you could get a sharper, more mirrored edge).

I must admit that my wheel needs trueing, but I manage fine as it is, since the action of moving the blade-to-be-sharpened from side-to-side compensates for the bevel in the stone.

It's much too gentle to do a mower blade on, but who wants to cut the grass anyway when there are projects to make! Besides, a cheap grinder for occasional use costs next-to-nothing.

So, in my humble opinion I can recommend the little Tormek and I've certainly never had any feelings of inadequacy regarding the size :lol:

Good luck with your choice!

Nick

Thanks Neil

George, a normal grinder is fine as long as you do not apply a lot of pressure or keep it on the stone for ages. I usually just use the normal grinder for creating the bevel, the Rexon to flatten backs and a DMT + waterstone for sharpening

George_N":11kdo19r said:
If you use cheap bench grinders,
Cheap? Moi? :whistle:

what sort of jig do you recommend to get accurate bevel angles an chisels and plane irons?
I use the Veritas one. It's not perfect, but the balance between acceptable limitations and cost isn't bad.

Also, is overheating not a problem with tempered steel on a high speed grinding wheel, as in it won't hold an edge so well?
It is if you make the mistake of pressing harder to make the wheel cut quicker. :) As long as you let the wheel do the work, it's not a problem. But it does take practice. For a start I ditched the electrons and use a hand-cranked grinder - it's too difficult to power round if I press to hard! Secondly, I use a coarse wheel rather than any of these smart white/pink/blue/ruby wheels. That way I get the grinding done quicker so lesss danger of overheating. As nothing short of being taken over by an extra-terrestrial being (or Alien Life Form :wink: ) as a host body would induce me to use an edge straight from the grinder, a finer stone is a pointless waste of time and effort.

I tried the Rexon horizontal wet grinder, but it was so slow and messy, I've barely blown the dust off it since the initial burst of enthusiasm. I'm currently a fan of very coarse diamond paste for blade backs and my usual DMT coarse/fine and then 0.25 micron diamond paste for the usual sharpening and honing.

Having said all which, if I was into carving and turning (a bit more) I can see the Tormek might make more sense. But for cabinetmaking, I've yet to be convinced.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3inipx6n said:
... I use a coarse wheel rather than any of these smart white/pink/blue/ruby wheels.

I thought that the pink/white ones were the same material (Alox) and the colour was a sort whimsy :lol:

As nothing short of being taken over by an extra-terrestrial being (or Alien Life Form :wink: ) as a host body would induce me to use an edge straight from the grinder, a finer stone is a pointless waste of time and effort.

Which is why the Tormek has a stropping wheel... And is the favoured form of tool grinder out in Alpha Centauri....

Having said all which, if I was into carving and turning (a bit more) I can see the Tormek might make more sense.

Now you've seen the light! All you now need to do is take up carving, turning, etc a bit more then you'll be able to justify a Tormek :twisted: - that or move to Alpha Centauri :wink: . Wonder if :norm: has one?

Scrit

I've had the 1206 for about a year now and I really do wonder how I managed without it. That said I mainy use it for my turning tools and not for chisels or plane irons. I find that the stone gets uneven very quickly, not a problem for gouges and the like but if I tried to sharpen a plane iron on mine tonight it would probably look serrated :wink:
So having said I love it I think you may find that for the sharpening you want there are better and cheaper routes.
Hope this helps

cd

Scrit":1n8iu41v said:
Wonder if :norm: has one?

He certainly has :) ! An episode a few years ago showed him building a work station especially for it.

Gill

cd":3j2h1a9s said:
I find that the stone gets uneven very quickly, not a problem for gouges and the like but if I tried to sharpen a plane iron on mine tonight it would probably look serrated
You don't get this problem when you retro-fit the 8" industrial diamond wheel! :)

Ray.

Back