Tormek Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the flush of enthusiasm, and having got bored trying to use waterstones and DMT on a number of chisels and plane blades, i bought a 2006,
and frankly would not be without it, but!!!!

the main difference is the length of time the wheel is running continuously,
and if you don't have lots to do at one time then it may be worth the saving.

so far i have found it valuable even when sorting out the edges on my brand new LN and LV planes. and as for chisels i make money by
sharpening for friends who are tradesmen rather than cabinet makers,
and they seem to stay away a long time which says something.
yes the complements are there.

if you have a few tools to do regularly, then the Tormek gives you an
initial edge quickly and easily, and then you can touch up on a DMT or waterstone, or even (alf) an old oilstone.

sharpening seems to me to be something you do once a month or so whilst the rest of the time you hone. so set the initial standard with a tormek, then move to the hand stones to keep things sharp.

works for me :lol: :lol:
paul :wink:

Argee":1r3mvx5o said:
You don't get this problem when you retro-fit the 8" industrial diamond wheel! :)
Ray.

I have been considering for when this one wears out, just not sure about the cost :shock:

cd

Newbie_Neil":8r2iikfi said:
Hi FTC

This is Tony's thread on the Rexon grinder which I think you might find useful.

Cheers
Neil

In the interest of balance, and of course putting my own point of view :oops: :D try also to look at the negative and reasoned review of the Rexon by beech1948. This puts forward an explanation of why the author sent it back and got a refund.

The Rexon is very poor except for use as a flat grinding plate for chisel backs. It will work to grind primary bevel but only after completely replacing the front blade holder entirely.

regards
alan

Argee":eq71w6sy said:
You don't get this problem when you retro-fit the 8" industrial diamond wheel! :)
Ray, was that a drive by? :lol:

Argee":1holp3h0 said:
If you mean "Was that just an opinion, or have you got one?" - then, yes, I've got one.
Sorry, Ray, too much of being wound up by Alf! :wink: I did talk to the diamond wheel guy a few years back and thought at the time it might be a good idea. Maybe it's something for the Christmas wish list....

Scrit

I have the 1206 because of space shortage in my 6x8. The only comment I would add to the "best thing ever, don't know how I managed without it .."etc, all of which I fully agree with, is that the best accessory I have bought is the diamond truing tool, which takes 20 thou off, trues up the wheel, and exposes a lovely new cutting surface. There should be a lot of 20 thous before it gets down from 8 inches to 6 inches diameter.
Worst accessory? That carbide 'brick' that is supposed to change the grit from coarse to smooth and back again! I just wore a dish in it and it now curves the wheel, and on one occasion flipped out of my hands and took a gouge out of the wheel.

Argee":3qm4qpxh said:
...If you mean "Was that just an opinion, or have you got one?" - then, yes, I've got one. Click here to see the post relating to it from October 15th. Ray.
Hi Ray, I read that previous thread with interest when you wrote it. It's been another 3 months and because you haven't said it is rubbish, I assume it is still meeting your needs.

I looked at one at this year's woodworking show and almost bought one for my wife as she is the turner in the family. It does appear like it would be a great investment, especially for tuners.

So my questions--and I do apologize for the number of them! Do you use it much for other tools, such as plane blades and chisels? Or do you just use the standard wheel for those? If you do use it for other edge tools, how "quickly" does it cut? And lastly, what is the finish like left on the tools? Finer than the original stone when graded as fine? Or?

Thank you,

Mike

Mike,

In answer to your questions:

It's GREAT! You only have to skim the water to keep it wet, so you don't get water all over the place as with the standard wheel. No sludge to clean up afterwards, just drop the tank to the storage position and towel the wheel off. I tend to leave my gouge jig on the bar, slide the gouge in, set the bevel with the gouge and tickle the edge up - all in around a couple of minutes.

I still swap over to the original wheel if I want to flatten the back of anything straight - no "side" on the diamond wheel. Anyway, I still want to get the most out of the original wheel, so it's trued up and kept for flat work.

The finish off the diamond wheel is as good as - if not slightly better than the original wheel. No speed difference between the original wheel (fine graded) and the retro fit.

HTH

Ray.

I have been really busy and missed this thread but we will always upgrade some one who has bought the smaller machine and would prefer the larger. We only offer this directly. It is a simple process.

V8 or V12 Sir? V12 please. Naturlich.

Back