Tormek corrosion inhibitor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewS

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m new to wet grinding and am interested to know if corrosion inhibitor is worthwhile with a standard stone and, if so, is it daft to consider using vehicle antifreeze (ethylene glycol) in lieu of the much more costly Tormek alternative?
Many thanks.

Where are you trying to inhibit from corroding? the only part on mine that gets a bit of corrosion is the main shaft which is trivial to remove and grease every now and then which will keep the water out.

I don't bother and if it's one of the later Tormek models it should have a stainless steel shaft.

It’s a T8 so yes, stainless spindle. I was more thinking about the tool being sharpened - probably over thinking it in fact... I would always dry the tool thoroughly and wax/oil it so perhaps no need for corrosion inhibitor?

The Tormek corrosion inhibitor is only needed if you are using their diamond wheels - the inhibitor is to protect the diamond coating, not the tool. As you say, you will, at the very least, dry your tools after sharpening so won't have an issue with corrosion on them due to the Tormek. Corrosion from damp or cold in your workshop is a separate matter.

Back