Tormek Coarse Diamond Wheel query?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a coarse diamond wheel to replace the existing Supergrind wheel on my T7 Tormek.

Whilst the 360g coarse wheel will be fine for regrinding plane and chisel bevels, will it be suitable for putting a working edge on turning gouges, even when they're honed inside and out using the leather wheel(s) on the machine?

My guess is that the edge may be too rough, even with honing in which case an additional Extra Fine wheel may be needed :( :( - Rob

Most turners sharpen their turning tools on much coarser wheels and most don't hone them so I think the 360g wheel will be more than adequate for sharpening.

Interesting. I was planning to get a 'fine' diamond wheel - well just as soon as they have stock, it's been 6 months! I currently sharpen my gouges on 6" CBN wheels on a high speed grinder, I think the grit is 300 ish, I'm not quite sure. My theory is that I'll re-shape/re-grind on the CBN, but then sharpen/touch up on the fine diamond Tormek. Little and often on the Tormek will maintain a fine edge and save gouge steel! That's my working theory anyway, yet to be tested.

I'd say that you'd be fine straight off the coarse Tormek wheel, I usually go straight off the CBN with a decent edge.

I use the proedge for turning tools, with a 240 or 320 belt on. The 300 should be fine.

I have the 80 & 180 grit Evolution CBN wheels from APTC running on their slow speed 8" grinder.
Whilst I can see the striations of the 180 grit wheel, I can't feel them. So if the same measuring system is used, 360 grit should be extremely smooth.

Back