Tormek - changing the wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this is fun......
Just got a new pink wheel from Peter Child for the Tormek, but can I get the old one off? Can I heck!
The manual says give the spanner a few taps with a hammer. LOL! I've been "tapping" it for 10 minutes.
I don't want to damage anything but that nut is not budging!

Come on folks!
Any ideas? (Please!)

Thanks
Aragorn

Could you secure the current wheel using a leather strap or similar, to provide some resistance to unscrew it against? Also, although i don't remember this being the case, it's not reverse thread is it, to stop it spinning off?

Adam

It is left-hand thread!! Yes.
I haven't been smashing it on tighter - but worth the check!
Would heating it help?

No, I just checked the manual, it is a right hand thread. It does make me think I should take mine off and put some copper slip on, for as and when I need to change it in the future.

Adam

Hi Aragorn
I definitely wouldn't heat it.
Try what Adam suggested to immobilize the wheel.
And spray the thread with WD40 or Plus Gas or something like that and leave for a few hours.
Then sharp taps with a hammer on the spanner.
Note: use a hammer not a mallet.
Best of luck

John

Well I'm a blooming silly person!
Thanks Adam - it is a right hand thread and I was knocking it on tighter.
Public humiliation, can't beat it!
Now, one word in my defense - just check out the diagram in the manual... which way is that spanner being hit to remove the wheel???

Shame on you Tormek!

Anyway, it came off fine with just a couple of taps. Time for a nice new pink wheel.
Anyone interested in a 2nd hand grey one?

Yep, the diagram in the manual definately shows him tapping it as for a LHT, although the accompanying text is correct (RHT). I can only presume it doesn't need a reverse thread as it runs so slow, so untightening isn't an issue.

Ahh well, let us know how this new stone performs.

Adam

Aragorn Glad you got it off.

But thats a first for me.
As far as I know the only grinder in existence with a right hand thread.
Although I'm sure someone will now tell me different about the grinder.

Adam well spotted and just in time by the sounds of it.

Yes I will be interested in the new wheel as well.
But I am also a little concerned about the old one.
Have you worn it out, or just wanted to try the pink wheel.
And if worn out, has it, in your opinion had some heavy use.
All the best

John

Or did you leave it in the waterbath overnight, so that it drooped - and became egg-shaped?

Adam

Aragorn said:
Well I'm a blooming silly person!
Thanks Adam - it is a right hand thread and I was knocking it on tighter.
Public humiliation, can't beat it!
Now, one word in my defense - just check out the diagram in the manual... which way is that spanner being hit to remove the wheel???
Shame on you Tormek!"

Thanks for this, and of course apologies.

I will copy this to TORMEK, a very rare mistake!

Martin Brown
BriMarc (Tormek UK)

The thread direction is governed by the direction of rotation, i.e one end should be l/h the other r/h. It's the same with truck wheels.

Thanks Martin
Good idea.
The manual is otherwise very good, but being more of a visual person (and also assuming it was left hand thread), I managed to over look the text which, as Adam points out, is fine.

I've tested the new wheel and I'll post a review in a separate thread.

John
Nothing wrong with the old wheel - I just read good things about the pink one on this site. I do seem to spend quite a lot of time grinding away with the grey wheel and I'd say it has had fairly heavy to medium use. It started life at 250mm diameter and it's now around 200mm. So basically I just wanted to try the pink one - glad I did...

Wait til you try to change the stones on a 2 wheel grinder. One has a left hand thread & the other is right hand. This makes sure the wheel doesn't come loose in use. I always used a flat screwdriver jammed between the wheel & the rest & turn the spanner in the direction of the wheels rotation. No, the screwdriver doesn't mess the wheel up, it's just used to stop the wheel turning when undoing the nut.

Latest posts

Back