Torch.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":ujqc8cz0 said:
What's an Olympic Torch then? :wink:

I've nothing against it but I wouldn't look out of the window to watch them pass. :roll:

Me either. except I do have something against it. I don't know what all the fuss is about. All I see is a privileged few getting the best tickets and odious, ex athletes pontificating about how 'good it is for Britain'.

Come off it... No one will convince me these athletes train and put in all this effort for the 'glory' it gives their Country. They might think about that when they cavort about the track with the Union Flag draped around them; usually upside down, but they do it because they WANT to do it, and it's all for THEM. They will bask in the glory, yes (And I don't blame them) but it just boils down to self, self, self; and a massive inferiority complex, that urges them to prove they are best.

Good luck to them all the same. I hope they take full advantage of the fame it brings them, but sorry. I don't believe their main concern is that it's for Britain. There's a lot of us Britons don't care one way or the other, so why should it be for us?

If the torch was carried past my drum, I might cast a glance; but only to make sure no one was sitting on and littering my front lawn, thinking it was Council land, because I'm not allowed to fence it.

Now for my true feelings. :evil:

It's all a waste of good money; money which could have been spent avoiding some of these 'necessary 'cut-backs' to pay back a debt that was inflicted on us by stupidity. Stupidity it appears, breeds stupidity.

:evil:

For all of those who don't get to see the Olympic candle go by I can report that it's underwhelming at best (so no big surprises there then). The wife and I ended up standing next to a family that had really bought into the whole thing, I don't think I'll ever forget the father banging on about how amazing it was to be part of it :roll:.

Like everything now it, of course, starts with "a message from the sponsors" as their buses roll on by, honestly it's cringe worthy but I suppose the whole shooting match has to be paid for somehow....

Blimey, I hope they enjoy it I've just worked out what it's cost me: every man, woman and child in the UK has subsidized this event to the tune of about £130! (based on £9B cost, 70m people).

I am happy enough to donate my £130. The torch bearing rubbish I can take or leave, but to host the Olympic Games has to be worth that.

It will generate more than it costs for the economy, so I am only lending them that £130 for a bit.

marcros":sh6yvhcc said:
I am happy enough to donate my £130. The torch bearing rubbish I can take or leave, but to host the Olympic Games has to be worth that.

It will generate more than it costs for the economy, so I am only lending them that £130 for a bit.
Yeah but who's economy?
For example, the official cars are all BMW, built in Germany. Why couldn't they choose an English brand built in England? :roll:

I'm sure that we will make our money back but I really think it was poorly spent. Basically the Government have borrowed £9B from the taxpayers and invested it in the country. That investment will, through sponsorship, visitors, ticket sales, etc etc probably return £9B or so to the economy. Hopefully there will also be a lasting uplift to tourism for at least a few years although I imagine this will tail off fairly quickly. So there's a return on investment, that's good but what could we have had...

I'll take as an example something I would like: fibre optic broadband. A few years ago I remember reading a news article where BT had estimated that to lay fibre to every home and business in the UK would cost them around £10B. The ROI for a project like that would be huge and would continue for a generation rather than a few months. If fibre optic isn't your thing what about building a massive new high tech engineering park so that we could compete with the like of Germany? Or perhaps re-enter the boat building market. There are a million things that we could have invested that money it that would have really helped people and given us a better and longer return. What we've basically done is sunk £9B into the worlds biggest firework show.

I dont disagree with what you are saying, and the other projects that you have suggested.

I know I sound like a right grumpy old sod but I really hope the people that enjoy this sort of thing have a good time. If athletics is your thing then I'm sure it doesn't get better than this. I suppose what I'm saying is I would like to see is the same sort energy and drive to investment in things that are less dramatic but that have more impact on the lives of the people.

cambournepete":2sbi327d said:
marcros":2sbi327d said:

Yeah but who's economy?
For example, the official cars are all BMW, built in Germany. Why couldn't they choose an English brand built in England? :roll:

Wot, like Honda or Toyota :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it would look rather good if the official cars were all Morgans. They are about the largest British Owned manufacturer arent they, unless they have been sold.

Jonzjob":3p863vc1 said:
cambournepete":3p863vc1 said:
marcros":3p863vc1 said:

Yeah but who's economy?

Wot, like Honda or Toyota :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
At least they build some of their cars in this country.

Of course, that 130 quid may have gone toward the wages of one of the men building the whole setup....

I've got my 130 back, had more than that in wages for work relating to it.

And of course, the honour is in carrying a torch, not possessing it. I believe the carrier has to purchase their own torch for 200odd poinds.?

Build is correct Pete. They use the 'build' here so that they could get around the EU import regs. All if not most of the parts are imported though, from Japanland :mrgreen:

I used to go into the Honda place in Swindon and a more pecular situation, apart from the GCHQ, I have never been in...

Hitch":10cdpwuk said:
I believe the carrier has to purchase their own torch for 200odd poinds.?
Only if they wish to retain it Hitch.
So I heard on some news bulletin. Someone already sold theirs for a five figure sum. Apparently for charity.

Hitch":2f86j1jr said:
Of course, that 130 quid may have gone toward the wages of one of the men building the whole setup....

I've got my 130 back, had more than that in wages for work relating to it.

And of course, the honour is in carrying a torch, not possessing it. I believe the carrier has to purchase their own torch for 200odd poinds.?

They are given the option to rather than having to.

Most have then excercised their right to flog it on ebay!

Back