Torch treated wood . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equitriangle

Reaction score
Hi, I have a garden shed made with treated planed t&g wood, with battens over the vertical joins. Been up around three years. Is it possible to torch the exterior now please? Many thanks in advance . . .

Assuming you mean burning it for shou sugi ban, japanese style then I don't think you should burn it as its treated. You will release nasty fumes.

Ollie

you mean torch it for the insurance:oops: but no if was bought treated it's not suitable as Ollie says, not sure if arsenic is still used but you don't want to be torching it. Besides to do it the wood has to be on fire for a short period. Someone would call the fire brigade or the men in white coats...

Older preservatives did contain arsenic but that ended over 10 years ago and now they are copper based, still torching might release posinous fumes particularly if the preservative was solvent based. Burning goes about 3 mm into the timber so with thin t&g that may not leave you with much solid wood especially on the laps. It does give an interesting look and is meant to protect from insects but will not provide rot protection so you have to keep the wood dry or treat it as well.

If just mildly burnt and not properly charred, it fades in sunlight.... go on, ask me how i know 🤣

If its the black look you are after, Sadolin Classic, ebony. If you do decide to burn it, take your petrol lawn mower out first. 🤔

I have charred small pieces for decorative work and you really do have to get it burning. Just wafting a blow lamp over it is not very effective.

Hi, I have a garden shed made with treated planed t&g wood, with battens over the vertical joins. Been up around three years. Is it possible to torch the exterior now please? Many thanks in advance . . .
Probably not a good idea, as it's supposed to be done before the timber is put in place.

It does look good when done properly. I went to a lecture on it a few years ago and the architect nearly set himself on fire when things got a little out of hand.

Here he is just before things got very interesting.....

terunobu-fujimori.jpg

Here's a write up.

https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/yakisugi-charred-timber/yakisugi-charred-timber.htm

Last edited:
Back