Top tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of years ago I cut myself on my new Christmas chisel. On Christmas Day. Went down to bone so had to go to A&E. Just moved to rural Scotland to be with other half (I'm from southern England and lived there for my four + decades so sound very posh to my new countrymen) so when I said it's got some slurry in it, meaning sharpening slurry, they read that as pigsiht. Partner had to translate. Anyway it was all sealed in with CA glue which was the first thing to hand. Had to have a general anaesthetic so they could clean the wound and make sure the bone wasn't nicked. So that was Christmas 2019...

The best thing is Germolene liquid skin, is antiseptic, seals cuts instantly but stings like hell for a few seconds!

Dave
You have to be careful with that stuff, you need to clean out the wound first, with a sterile cleaner. If you don't and you trap something nasty under the liquid skin, it can cause all sorts of nasties.

Accelerator is fine but you need to be clever about it. Assuming you are using an aerosol rather than an atomiser of course. Add glue, give it a quick spray, watch it closely, as soon as it starts to cloud or skin over, spray it again. The cold of the aerosol will counteract the heat of the exothermic reaction and it won't hurt.

Another tip, reinforce the CA glue when using it to hold a wound together. I find a layer of toilet roll or similar thin paper towel works well. It stops the glue cracking and forms a cap over the cut. If the cut edges are immobilised and protected then the healing process goes much faster. Cuts that used to take 4 or 5 days to heal now do so in less than 3 because they are not stressed or split open again.

If you are gluing a broken or split nail, use some cotton gauze bandage as the reinforcement, it will form a fibreglass like structure that is stronger than the original nail. I have saved several finger nails from being all but lost this way as well as countless nail injuries that would have taken weeks to heal with much pain and hassle. Done it for family members as well. This method is also an excellent way to repair brittle plastic components like fridge or freezer drawers, it isn't pretty but I have had repairs for years, often outlasting the fridge itself.

Back