Top Gear near death

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you drive a dull, boring metal box? Have you ever driven anything remotely resembling a performance car or motorbike? Do you think that all programs about cars have to examine the minutiae of boring little tin boxes? And are you aware about just how successful the reborn Top Gear was in comparison to its' forebears? And what do you think about Top Gear after Ckarkson, May and Hamster?

Clarkson and Wilman's Top Gear worked for so many people because it was the only program to showcase and compare the exotic, with a bit of actual motoring journalism thrown in (bu no, not about how big the boot is) combined with some shenanigans that even my missus found funny. But then, neither of us is PC and nor are we easily offended. If you wanted a more staid car program you should have switched to Fifth Gear with ex-Top Gear presenter Tiff Needell - but wait, didn't that die the death because the revised Top Gear took most of its' audience? And because it was just so bloody boring?

Of course, if something offends you on TV there is always the option of switching over or switching off. Maybe you should have tried that. I wonder, though, what you think of the current Top Gear crew? At least they aren't Clarkson...

Me? I was already an Amazon Prime member, so buying a Firestick and watching the Grand Tour seemed a natural progression. It was the BBC's loss and Amazon's gain.
Well the new top gear still has 3 million or so viewers so some people evidently like it.

I
Do you drive a dull, boring metal box? Have you ever driven anything remotely resembling a performance car or motorbike? Do you think that all programs about cars have to examine the minutiae of boring little tin boxes? And are you aware about just how successful the reborn Top Gear was in comparison to its' forebears? And what do you think about Top Gear after Ckarkson, May and Hamster?

Clarkson and Wilman's Top Gear worked for so many people because it was the only program to showcase and compare the exotic, with a bit of actual motoring journalism thrown in (bu no, not about how big the boot is) combined with some shenanigans that even my missus found funny. But then, neither of us is PC and nor are we easily offended. If you wanted a more staid car program you should have switched to Fifth Gear with ex-Top Gear presenter Tiff Needell - but wait, didn't that die the death because the revised Top Gear took most of its' audience? And because it was just so bloody boring?

Of course, if something offends you on TV there is always the option of switching over or switching off. Maybe you should have tried that. I wonder, though, what you think of the current Top Gear crew? At least they aren't Clarkson...

Me? I was already an Amazon Prime member, so buying a Firestick and watching the Grand Tour seemed a natural progression. It was the BBC's loss and Amazon's gain.
I had an MG Midget in my youth nearly 60 years ago, but I gave it up when I married for a more family friendly dull, boring metal box. The Midget wasn’t a Lamborghini, but I enjoyed driving it. Now, as you say, I drive another ‘dull, boring metal box’. It gets me around ok, which, as far as I am concerned, is the purpose of cars, rather than being extensions of my ego.
Anyway, we must agree to differ about the delights of Top Gear. Good luck with your future.

Last edited:
Well the new top gear still has 3 million or so viewers so some people evidently like it.
Yes, but not quite in the 6 to 9 million band of the Clarkson era, is it? And on top of that overseas sales (the real money earners) have gone through the floor and the franchises have tanked, too

Last edited:
If youre going to ignore somthing that you know is wrong, in the pursuit of profit, then there's way more profitable things that we, as a society, could be doing than pandering to Clarkson and his fans.

Yes, but not quite in the 6 to 9 million band of the Clarkson era, is it? And on top of that overseas sales (the teal money earners) have gone through the floor and the franchises have tanked, too

You mean in the days before Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +? No.

The Clarkson top gear shows are pretty boring once you know a lot of the stunts are staged. I can't bear the false "banter" between them. It's all too pantomime for me.

Of course, those who adore the Clarkson way will find the content below very dull and inaccessible -

Latest posts

Back