top bag of dust extractor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the SIP two bag dust extractor and unfortunately the inside bottom plastic collector bag burst on me over the weekend. Anyway I've cleared up the mess, held my breath along time.

The top bag I removed and that was very dusty, gave that a few clouts when the neighbour had left for work :oops:

The top bag is badly stained inside with a dark coloured dust, how would users go about cleaning up this bag?
Wash it?
Or what?

Or should I swap over with the bottom bag, that's clean :roll: (because I use an inside plastic collector bag)

If it's the standard bag then it's probably quite a coarse filter and the dust in it blocks some of the holes and actually makes it a better filter. Cleaning it makes it cleaner, but it'lll only get dusty again so why bother?

It's not designed to be used as a bottom bag and you cant swap it with a plastic bag as that won't filter at all.

You might like to consider finding a fine filter bag for the top to improve the filtration and then you might get away with using the current bag for the bottom, but the bags on my ADE1200 are different sizes and shapes. I've just built a separate cupboard for the collector to keep the dust out of the garage - I mean shop.

HTH

Pete

DW

I don't know about that particular DA, but I believe that some of them, at least, are treated electrostatically to help them filter the dust, and washing them destroys this.

I would not have believed it myself, but there was a review of one several years ago in GW, and the reviewer suggested just that, only to be shot down in flames the following month by the manufacturer, so they should know what they are talking about.

The main problem I have with mine is the top bag not filtering out the dust enough, and the whole machine emitting a fine cloud. I cover it with a plastic bag, weighted down with a couple of spring clamps, so that at least the dust doesn't get cast about the workshop, yet the air can still escape.

Cheers
Steve

When I bought my 2 bag dust extractor, I asked about cleaning the top bag and was told 'turn the bag inside out and clean it with a standard vacuum cleaner'.

I haven't tried it but it may work.

SMD":wbi44w6f said:
When I bought my 2 bag dust extractor, I asked about cleaning the top bag and was told 'turn the bag inside out and clean it with a standard vacuum cleaner'.

I haven't tried it but it may work.
I've got the Axminster needlecord bag as the upper one on my m/c, and it certainly blocks up over time, so have tried that method of cleaning and it seems to work well. I daren't think how much finer stuff is getting through the needlecord - Axminster are a bit coy about how effective they are. Certainly better than the coarse cotton thing originally fitted but probably should be supplemented with respirator or a Microclene.

Devon
I personally would not clean the bag, discoloration is an indication of trapped dust particles in the filter medium and can only improve the filter factor.

As an aside to the thread and for additional info. that might be of use to others:

I have the Axminster ADE 1200, (same as cambournepete) which came with a top bag that is claimed to filter down to 1 micron and a plastic collector bag.

Since using it in association with my lathe there is a very noticeable reduction in the dust collecting on my face mask filter and the quantity of dust escaping through the bag is very low. (a clean plastic bag placed loosely over filter bag Edit: (NOT SEALED at bottom, but it inflates with the airflow) traps some very fine emissions by static and this is washed out occasionally) seepage past the plastic collector bag seal was noted and this has been reduced by fitting a foam seal to collecting bag fixing collar.

A tap or two on the top bag after use results in a large amount of dust dropping into lower bag but would not contemplate cleaning top bag because as has been said previously and elsewhere in this thread some natural blockage of the filter material can only improve the effectiveness of the filter if not the air flow.

i have the sip and i turn the beg inside out and wack it in the garden ,dont forget to stand up wind, the bags a dirty colour but it traps the dust make sure you seal the plastic bag ,spare bags are about a quid.

frank":1i3hi28g said:
i have the sip and i turn the beg inside out and wack it in the garden ,dont forget to stand up wind, the bags a dirty colour but it traps the dust make sure you seal the plastic bag ,spare bags are about a quid.

Frank, are you enclosing the top fabric bag with the clear plastic bag that came with your sip kit?

dw no the clear plastic bag collects the chips and go's on the bottom you can get spares at b/q .i might try putting plastic bag over the cloth one like steve

well i put a plastic bag over the cloth bag, switched on the d/c and the bag blew off ,so i held it down and got the impression that the volume of air had slowed a tad so off it came .

Thanks for your info on the test run.

However I did get a paper fibre type bag supplied with my sip kit but have never put it on the machine.

Didn't think it would have much staying power. Next time I set up the gear I will give it a run and live dangerously :roll:
(I think you have to have the plastic bag fitted below when using that setup. )

Back