Tooth fairy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bugbear.....another factor!

I have now arrived at the price of the box = cost of one brass screw.....so 10p or reallly upmarket at 15p each. Wood - home grown, time - home grown, tools - ancient second hand + 40 years ago, have forgotten the polish and wax so another 10p. and possible a bit of coloured felt, say 10p. Total value 30p to 35p. and I'm not a tax avoidance accountant.

Cut a block of Apple on Saturday and brought it into the house to see if there is going to be any movement..... and was it hard. Easy to see why fruit wood was used for cog wheels. Sanding is nearly a No No. Thanks to all.

To Andy and everyone else. Here is my tester which on reflection I will keep now. Apple wood planted circa 1880, cut circa 1995, which so far hasn’t twisted so may be ok. Several coats of finishing oil and I will wax it a bit also. The dovetail is American black Walnut which was more model making than woodwork and could be tighter. The screw will have to be substituted with something neater, but don’t what yet. I cut the top splay at 1:6 as from video and also undercut it at 1:6 which wasn’t necessary as it catches slightly. I could have cut a larger ‘hole’ but wasn’t sure how the wood would settle. I now have to think about an alternative for the screw, the lining was mounted on card but I may also review that. I didn’t round the corners as the wood was so hard to work and I quite like it square anyway. Thank you everyone for your help and interest. I may now go into a production line! I may router a groove on the base and hand write my granddaughters name and my date. Anyway, comments please on what I should have done. I did enjoy making it.

Attachments

• boots 003.jpg
    boots 003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 52
  • boots 004.jpg
    boots 004.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 52
  • boots 005.jpg
    boots 005.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 52
Very neat, that looks the business, lovely piece of wood that-you could glue something to the head of the screw-a little gem perhaps?
Looks great anyway

That looks really nice and I'm sure it will be treasured. Just don't let anyone put mutton fat in it! ;-)

love the wood

i would drill up from the bottom and use a dowel i do that on small trinket boxes i make i normally do that first so everything stays aligned but as that would make the top gap wide i would make the box rough then tape it all up and drill from the base just short of coming through the top then you could elongate the middle hole for it to slide and make a plug in apple to cover the hole in the base.
And as its a tooth fairy box and i dont have the skills ( i dont do dovetails ) i would shape the dovetail a little more like a tooth.

hope this helps

How about a polished and varnished countersunk brass screw and these:

They do look nice if done carefully. The screwdriver needs to be slightly narrower than normal though, to avoid scuffing the screw cup by accident when you do it up the last bit (don't ask me how I know...).

Cheers,

E.
(who ought to be working!)

I just had a sudden afterthought - I'll say it now before you make the final version!

Although the size is fine for a little tooth, and makes it a nice thing to hold, are you thinking of your grand daughter putting a tooth in at night and finding in the morning that a coin has taken its place? If so, you might need to make the box a little wider so a suitable value coin would fit.

But then again, maybe in the US a dollar bill would fold up small enough.

Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement. I will now get organised for the production. It is wonderful to receive such help and advice. Will add the final boxes incorporating some of the suggestions. .......in time. Best wishes to you all.

Thank you everyone for your help and thoughts. A preliminary clean up shows it to be in good nick and I will not do much other than a new handle and a new blade from Workshop Heaven. I will try the present one first just to see. A bit of fettling will also not go amiss. Best wishes.

Now where is the next sales about?

WRONG THREAD OOPS.
Now where is the next brain about?

Eric The Viking":29moqvlh said:
How about a polished and varnished countersunk brass screw and these:

They do look nice if done carefully.

I like that; I think it would look very "right"

BugBear

I was passing a bead shop and bought this 'half' bead and glued on with expoxy. Also a touch of epoxy in the screw hole as it was truning being slightly tight. Best wishes.

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 10
Back