Toolstation - good experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in the shower, my wife in sitting room below doing yoga and getting dripped on. Hmmm. Been meaning to re-seal the tray for a year or two, fitted it in 2008. Need sealant.*

Amazon - expensive and not dispatched by them, 7 - 10 days

Screwfix (my normal source) - £50 minimum for free delivery and £5 otherwise. Could make up lots of reasons to buy tools but nothning I really need.

Toolstation (never used them before, thought they were a tool hire place) £10 minimum for free delivery. The Dow 785 I wanted was on offer, rats, 2 tubes = £9.80. Could do with a new hose tap connector, non essential but tips it over the £10. Ordered late Friday, arrived mid Monday. What's not to like.

The £10 free order threshold is pretty attractive for minor maintenance orders. Easy to use website too.

*OK, off we go, is shower tray sealant a necessary purchase? If you can't shower it's not nice. If the chipboard floor in the bathroom gets sodden and the entire shower and occupant descends to the room below its a hazard. I took the view that it is necessary but others might not share that view.

toolstation have had numerous orders from me because of the £10 spend for free postage. not used them during lockdown but they would be my fist place to try if I did need some essentials. the speed at the moment was a pleasant surprise, I thought that they were quoting a few days.

I wouldn’t feel guilty about whether or not your purchase was ‘essential’. Wilko shops are open, and there is a notice in the window which says that the government has deemed them to be essential. I passed my local store this morning - queue a mile long, people coming out with trays of bedding plants and trays of compost. Essential?

And I also think Toolstation is great, better than Screwfix.

For most things, toolstation is far better than screwfix.
I have used their click and collect twice since the lock down. Their system felt very safe.

Marineboy":3al8s53o said:
I passed my local store this morning - queue a mile long, people coming out with trays of bedding plants and trays of compost. Essential?

Essential for some people to keep their sanity.

I really like Toolstation and generally buy from there instead of screwfix. Prices are often better and the £10 minimum spend does come in handy. I am pretty certain if you have a local store they deliver using their own vehicle? I might be wrong on that and getting it confused with somewhere else. I normally pick it up though and Screwfix is next door so I tend to split my order according to price and availability.

I was annoyed by casual assumption that I would give them my email and address when I first went in to buy some consumables ages ago. Of course it's a two way thing, you get the invoice emailed which is better for record keeping. They get your details and can deem that you opted in to the marketing. But that was never explained any time I visited.
My reply to "Can I have your address ... ?" question is aalways a smile and a simple "No". They don't explain why they want it. I don't explain either.
So I don't ever deal with Toolstation online. Little details in the way it works kept reminding me of that same attitude and I walked away.

The new branch of Screwfix that opened in our town handled those first customer interactions much better and I regularly use their click and collect.
But the toolstation staff are friendly, enough of them know me that I'm never asked for details anymore and they just offer to print me a paper receipt.
They are the best value for a bunch of stuff and £10 for free delivery is great.

I was concerned about what screwfix might be doing with my details, so I gave myself a PhD and styled myself as Dr. :D
So far no one has written to me with that prefix so maybe I worry too much.

Toolstation are good. I've been using them over the last 12 months for supplies when doing up a garage workshop for a local company. I'm fortunate, Screwfix and Toolstation branches nearest me are practically on top of each other. So I always compare products and prices before going out to buy. Never had to return anything to Toolstation but Screwfix are very good with returns

Rorschach":19icq6lh said:
Marineboy":19icq6lh said:
I passed my local store this morning - queue a mile long, people coming out with trays of bedding plants and trays of compost. Essential?

Essential for some people to keep their sanity.

I really like Toolstation and generally buy from there instead of screwfix. Prices are often better and the £10 minimum spend does come in handy. I am pretty certain if you have a local store they deliver using their own vehicle? I might be wrong on that and getting it confused with somewhere else. I normally pick it up though and Screwfix is next door so I tend to split my order according to price and availability.
This is my 5th week off work. I was really struggling mentally the first week ( I need routine. I always have) Then I found out my local woodyard was still open. Queues, yes of course BUT It kept my sanity, I've been in the garage for 5 hours every day. I only go down when I'm out shopping for fresh food anyway.

Oh Dear on the post costs, but what I like about Toolstation over Screwfix, is the simple fact, that at TS you order, then can view your goods and then pay, where SF demand payment first then they will fetch the items and then you have to deiced if they will do the job.

I know that’s how they both usually operate, but any Screwfix I’ve been to have been happy to grab stuff for a look at before buying.

chrispy108":u8cc1zj9 said:
I know that’s how they both usually operate, but any Screwfix I’ve been to have been happy to grab stuff for a look at before buying.

Me too. Local branch of both are, unsurprisingly next to each other. Birth good staff, both let you see before you buy, both accept returns even if just haven't needed it. TS VERY sweet hot chocolate machine. SF make you a tea or coffee, (usually not very well, but always with a smile), in the trade area AND our most local one has a staff member who bakes cakes on what is known as Fat Friday - optional donations to charity.
My thoughts? Check price online, get the cheaper/ better one of there's a difference, except ALWAYS screw fix on Friday :lol:

Back