Tools & Wood Auction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevtheturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Next auction of woodworking tools and timber at Ledbury Salerooms is next Saturday, 8th January. Catalogue should be on-line within next few days at:

www.hjpugh.co.uk

I shall be there if anybody else is going and wants to meet up - cuppas from the tea wagon on me. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,

How does this Buyers premium 10%+VAT Buyers registration stuff work?
Does it mean that if I win a lot for £10 I pay £11+VAT for it?
And I will have to pay to be allowed to bid if I win anything or not?

I must admit there is a lot of interesting stuff on the catalogue(now on line), but the AA says its 238mile, 4hours 23min from home.

Vat is charged only on the buyers premium. The goods are used so have already had a vat charge on them.

Dave, did you say that the catalouge is on line because i cannot find it?

Regards

Woody

DaveL,

Sorry you're so far away - I find I quite enjoy the morning out even if buy nothing, although I usually do :wink: .

The situation is exactly as jaymar says, with the exception of those items at the end of the catalogue marked with a * (new stuff) in respect of which the whole lot, hammer price and buyer's premium, is subject to v.a.t.

Registration costs nothing. You give your name and address in exchange for a card with your registration number on. You show this number to the auctioneer on winning a Lot so that the Lot is subsequently released only to you on payment. You then have to show your receipt for payment to actually remove your Lot(s). System is generally used at auctions, designed to protect the Auction House and buyers, and seems to work okay.

Keith: Some and some. May be worth the drive or perhaps not! Last sale I went to the Friday viewing - load of rubbish. Bought some champion sausages from Gill D's butcher and didn't bother to go back to the sale on the Saturday! At two previous sales I was pleased. Examples:

1. six boards of wenge, 8' long 24"x1and1/4", had been well stored in stick for 10 years (had a chat with the seller after the sale) cost £30 each.

2. 3 oak boards 7' x 24" x 2"

3. 12 oak 6' x 6" x 1and1/4"

4. 8 oak boards 13' x 8" x 1and1/2" - had to cut them in half to get them in the car!

All of the oak was good quality but high MC. Stickered in the airy loft above my workshop it is drying nicely. 3 above, bought last January, I have just started using. Overall average cost approx. £14 per cu. ft. (After resawing, the oak for my recently completed 3 metre worktop cost about 15 quid - I could have bought one ready made for £458!).

5. 7 boards of spalted beech 8' long varying 18" to 24" wide all 2" thick. Looked pretty rough at the sale and little interest in it (3 Lots). Took a chance and bought the lot and it turned out to be as I hoped - excellent spalting throughout, some very heavy, but still totally sound. Cost: £7 per cu. ft. If I use it all for turning blanks it will give me some 64 blanks from 8" to 22" diameter - approx £1 each!

I usually go to the viewing on a Friday. Anything I'm interested in I look at carefully, especially the ones at the bottom of the stack, tick the likely ones on my catalogue, calculate the cubic footage at home and put my max. price on them. If the bids at the sale exceed my prices I just forget 'em, otherwise I could easily get carried away!

I've also seen some Lots go for extortionate prices when several people are really interested, e.g. 2 boards of walnut, looked a bit ropey to me, about 6' x 30" x 1and1/2" - £290 each :shock: :shock:

This is their first wood auction since last March so I'm hoping that there will be some good stuff amongst the rubbish.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev,

Looks like they have a good selection, count me in I'm just starting to get better at this woodwork thing and I find wood scarce around south Brum.
Will get there as close to 8.0 as poss to have a look around and a butty.
Thanks for the tip off.

All the best
Neil

Keith,

Hope you can make it. I'll look out for you - might be able to recognise you from your celebrity pics. in the mags!

Failing that, I'm the fella about 6'5", dark hair, 60-ish (but looks younger - hmm?).

Neil,

Hope to see you there, too. As I am a bit closer than you I go to the Friday viewing, but I'll try to get there in good time, at least for a butty, on Saturday.

Cheers,

Trev.

Keith, thanks for the link. No i haven't been to this particular sale before, although i have been to a few elsewhere.
Trev (trev thanks for the info) has pretty much said it all about this sort of auction.

One thing that i would STRONGLY under line is to watch out that you do not get carried away with your bidding. It is so easy to get in a bidding war with some other punter of the same mind as you and before you know it you have paid over the top.
Do not get me wrong there are some bargains to be had at these sales, especially if as Trev says one particular lot "looks pretty rough" and there is little interest in it.

The best advice anyone can give you is to set a limit and stick to it, no matter what.

Good Bidding.

Regards

Woody

Hi Trev,

I may need some indication of the costs of the woods and bits, as I said I am new at the woodworking and really don't know the costs of things such as hardwoods. Will most probably be looking for off cuts or small quantities. I will be the one in the gold and black fleece jacket, dark hair and a puzzled look :? :? :? :? :? .

All the best

Neil

Hi Trev

trevtheturner":1bxmxtu7 said:
Neil, Hope to see you there, too. As I am a bit closer than you I go to the Friday viewing, but I'll try to get there in good time, at least for a butty, on Saturday.

Sorry, unfortunately, no can do.

We currently have my mother living with us as we are still waiting for the solicitors to sort out the purchase of her apartment in a neraby village.

Aaaaaaarrrgh.

Cheers
Neil

Hey Neil, wrong Neil I suspect. Hope you're charging her rent......

Noel

Hi Noel

Noely":10sk0q4t said:
Hey Neil, wrong Neil I suspect. Hope you're charging her rent......

Noel

Thanks for spotting the error. :oops:

Err, no. I knew I'd forgotten something.

I'm just chasing solicitors like mad.

Cheers
Neil

Anyone got any idea how long the auction goes on for?
Likewise, do you have to be there for the 10am start and can you pop in and out whilst it's on?
Oh, and do you have to wait until the end to pick up any purchases?

Thanks in advance.
Barry

(Auction virgin :oops: )

Hi All,

Neil (radicalwood): look forward to meeting you. In the meantime, give me a call for a chat - my 'phone no. on its way to you by PM (private message).

Sawdust Producer: Ledbury is on the A.417, approx. 25 minutes from Hereford.

Newbie_Neil: Sorry to get you all excited (post was meant for radicalwood Neil).

Barry: depends on the number of lots of course, but they do get through them pretty quickly - upwards of 100 per hour perhaps. Looking at Saturdays list (including tools, etc.) it will certainly go on well into the afternoon. You don't have to to be there for 10am and can come and go as you please, but you need to register at the 'office' in the auction rooms before bidding. Lots are dealt with in the order listed in catalogue. You don't have to wait until the end, if you win a Lot you can pay at the 'office', show your receipt to the guy on the floor and take it away. I rarely stay until the bitter end.

Cheers,

Trev.

Well said, Dick. How's about those going from here meeting up, say by my car, at about 9.30. We could have a quick conflab on Lot numbers we might be interested in? Could save us from later finding that we've been bidding against each other! Worth a try?

Car will be parked outside the reception office or in the main car park - Ford Explorer, silvery grey and probably a bit muddy.

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,

I'm going to see if I can get a break and go to the preview on the Friday - depending on quality will determine a Saturday appearance. Are you going to the preview?

T

Back