Tools & Wood Auction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So anyway - the auction is over. Met up with Trev the Turner yesterday at the preview - not a lot of great timber but quite a lot of good stuff. Made lists last night, compared notes this morning and realised that we were probably going to be bidding against each other (but we split lots where appropriate). Neil (Radicalwood) was also there (wishing he had a longer car!) and had already won stuff by the time I arrived at 10.10!

All in all a great day out. My tally:

2 7ft x 14 x 2 English walnut planks @ £60 :D :D
9 cuft of beech (6x3 1/4) at £55 all in :D :D :D
3 cuft of 2" oak (greenish) all in at £22 :D :D :D
7 12ft long 8 1/2 x 1 Ash planks for £80 :D :D

(All prices inc vat and 10% buyers premium)

Highlight of the day - Trev being mistaken for my dad!!
Lowlight: Watching someone halve 8 12ft 10" chestnut boards to get them in their hatchback :shock: :( (for the record - it wasn't Neil - see above)

Thanks Trev (or should I say Dad :wink: ) for the heads up and great to meet Neil as well.

Bottled out on the tools (apparently 2 of the No 7s went for over a ton each). Thanks Alf for your eleventh hour advice.

I'll let Trev and Neil relate their winnings but suffice to say there was little room in Trev's Explorer for travel sweets and that was just the first trip!! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

I went along and thoroughly enjoyed it! :p

Got there too late for anything useful for turning. Some yew blocks were going just as I got there so I bid anyway even though I hadn't seen them (live dangerously me) but bottled out.

I was a bit constrained by the size of the car as I didn't want to be spending the afternoon re-sizing boards to fit. I did win some nice oak, 3 at 53x12x3 and 4 at 61x12x2 for a total of £60 which works out at £9 cuft so happy there. Just checked on what I'd pay on SL Hardwoods and they wanted around £300 more :shock: . (I must be mistaken here). Think they are a bit green but I've got the ends sealed now and they are stacked for a bit until I decide what to do with them. Can see me getting a good workout as I'm sure I'll be doing some resawing by hand. :? Think I'll check out that framesaw design I saw somewhere.

Really fancied a lot of the tools there but couldn't stay for them so had to pass up on a lot of nice things. There was a very nice #8 that I fancied but I could see that going for a fair whack and I couldn't hang around, oh well, there will be others.

Did buy 2 lots of G-cramps as I could really do with a few more. Unfortunately I broke the rule and went beyond what I wanted to pay on the first (silly) then thought I was bidding on some nice large Jorgenstein (sp?) ones but was actually bidding on some more G-cramps :? so bid a bit more than I would have on them, oops. Wonder how much I could get for them on eBay :wink: .

By the way Tim, was that you I saw checking out the bundles of Disston saws with a phone a friend? :wink: (Thinking Alf could do a bundle on consultancy fees at these things).

Did me good deed for the day as I was able to lend a chap a saw who was trying to size some timber to fit in his estate using a one of those saw you get on a Swiss army knife. :shock: He seemed to be quite relieved at the offer.

Sorry I never got around to meeting up with anyone but I wasn't sure I was going until the last minute. So until next time then.

I too arrived too late and the sale had already started, I bought some greenish oak, not worked out exactly but about 3-4 cubic ft for £22 and some beech, 3 8ft lengths for £4 but some of it is firewood. Met up with Trev before I discovered I couldn't get all the timber in the car, so had to give him my last piece of oak :roll:

There were a couple of tools I was interested in but they were some of the last lots to go, I would have had to wait another couple of hours and when I saw the silly prices people were willing to pay!! £20 for an old B&D drill I have thrown better away, now I know what to do with all my old tools :lol:

Certainly worth a visit, next time I need to take a van or perhaps a lorry.

Keith

Sounds like you lot had fun. <sniff> But what on earth's going on with the tool prices? They usually put the prices realised on the site after the auction don't they? Be interesting to see.

Cheers, Alf

Who would expect demand for consultation to drop off dramatically if she started charging... :wink:

Right, son, now you listen 'ere. You know I'm not into this ban on the slappin' o' kids don'tya, so any more cheek from you an' I'll.......................

Good to meet you at the auction, Tim, and you Neil (thanks for the bacon butty :wink: ), and Liz (heard, as we three enthused over Lots we had won and more that we wanted, muttering, "you're just like three little boys!"), and Keith (thanks for your excess oak - safely home and now lovingly stored for future use. I will return the compliment in due course).

Barry, sorry I missed you. I also got caught up towards the end of the proceedings and ended up with a box of 8 x 10" heavy duty G-cramps - donno why really, but they were only £18 and somebody did say you can never have enough cramps! - but this type?? :roll:

It was a big sale of 700 Lots and I think the auctioneer had had enough and wanted to go home so was selling Lots very quickly towards the end, although earlier many of the tools were going for silly (high) prices.
I looked in again when I returned for my second load of wood and picked up two very nice Disston saws for £20 all-in. I'll post under Hand Tools with more details, and for some advice, re: these.

My tally of wood:

3 ash boards 70x14x2 - £38
11 ash boards 144X6 1/2x1 - £80
4 ash boards 84x8x1 3/4 - £25
5 oak boards 96x13x1 1/4 - £31
5 beech boards 96x12x2 - £33
About 24 cu.ft. in total, averaging out at about £8.50 per cu. ft.
Some is about 12% MC, some is much greener and will need drying in stick for a good while.

LOML, on seeing my hard-won spoils, says, "that much more wood! So when are you going to start making things, then?" :roll: Says I casually, thinking quickly and playing for time, "oh, it's nowhere near dry yet, it'll be a while. Anyway, I haven't drawn the plans yet." :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

It was a good day all round.
Thanks to Trev for the tip off, and advice from him and Tim on the day.

Tim I only had to cut 6" off one plank and 2" of another, mind you the wood was touching the windscreen and the tailgate of the passat estate on the way home.

Trev the sweet shop opened in the afternoon as well, picked up a couple of tools in the afternoon.

Wood

3- 8' x 13" x 2" Ash planks all in at £25
8- 7' x 6.5"x 1" Ash planks all in at £62

Ran out of space with having Liz in the car.

Tools

Record 52 Vice at £26 Really needed a vice.
Stanley no4 smoother (50's ish) and a block plane £24.
Stanley plough plane with all cutters at £26.
Small combination square and 3 calipers At £22.

Should have got some Oak as well, never mind theres always next time.

Just need to draw up the 2 units for the lounge and a coffee table for the Ash.

All the Best

Neil

Sorry Alf.

It was a Stanley 50 combination plane with Boxed Blades.

I also picked up a Record 044 Plough plane for £14 I forgot about that one.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best

Neil

£14? Fourteen pounds[?! Jammy devil... Of course you realise they're addictive don't you? You may be starting with bargains, but you'll end up bankrupting yourself looking for an elusive Howkins... :wink:

Thanks for the heads up, Trev. I'll try not to sob over the prices...

Cheers, Alf

P.S. The #50: wooden handle I assume?

Edit: I thought the tool prices were supposed to be high? I see nothing but low prices here. :?

Sawdust Producer":vwap7qgo said:
they are certainly cheaper than whats going through e bay.

You can say that again! I rather wish I hadn't looked at that pdf; there certainly seem to be a lot of bargains on the list. And those chestnut prices :shock:

Edit: I thought the tool prices were supposed to be high? I see nothing but low prices here.

Alf, it appears I got given duff information about the planes. Still, I'd spent all my money by then and I was busy ferrying the spoils across the county!

Cheers

T

Latest posts

Back