Tools for self reliance at Tools 2005

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking any of their older or superseded tools to Tools 2005.

This is a worthy cause giving tradesmen the tools of their trade and helping them to make a decent living. Decent quality hand tools and good quality power tools are what they are looking for. I'm taking a Stanley No5 (I've upgraded to a Clifton), a combination plane which I rarely use, brace and bits together with various other bits and piece that a chippy would find useful.

Means I can go and buy new tools for the good of mankind :lol:

Keith

Keith Smith":2v29zbvc said:
Is anyone taking any of their older or superseded tools to Tools 2005.
Yep. I'm selling them to worthy British woodworkers. :wink:

But apart from the fact that I resent having to feel guilty for trying to make some small pittance from my own efforts in finding and restoring tools, which is about the only income I'm getting at all at the moment, I thought of taking some things for our African brethren. Then I thought about carrying them all the way to Hall 2 and I had second thoughts about the practicality of doing so. Anyone know if there's a drop off point a bit handier than that? There must be if they want anvils, pillar drills and vices, surely? :shock: Also, does anyone know if they check stuff to see if it mightn't be more valuable sold on to collectors than sent to the Dark Continent? You could get a whole pile of user tools for the price of some single tools. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Who tends to question charitable endeavours like this; it's nothing personal, just my naturally cynical nature. :oops:

Don't know about a better placed drop off point, but I think quite a few exhibitors have collection points on their stands, I know we have.

Andy

Alf we will collect your parcel/crate. Just PM me and we will send it directly. No charge.

I believe they deserve your support. I went to visit and it is a very low cost exercise. Working for little, with nothing.

They employ the unemployable from the neighbourhood. A great social support for the area.

No money changes hands. No fat cats when I went.

Martin

Martin Brown":ac95z8q9 said:
Alf we will collect your parcel/crate.
Steady on, Martin; I don't have that many tools! :lol: Thanks for the offer, but I'll manage. It doesn't solve the problem for the general multitude anyway. I suppose collecting stuff up at the entrance as people came in was a no-no for some reason?

And to be clear, I wasn't suggesting there were any fat cats or shenanigans. Rather that, with many charities, they're not always as efficient at wringing the maximum benefit out of donations as one would hope. I'm all for the idea; just hope they're getting as much as possible out of everything, that's all.

Cheers, Alf

TFSR have local collections too, just give them a call.

Yes I understand about the fat cat stuff, my feeling this was a maximum benefit cause for all concerned.

See you next week.

Martin

Gidon when I spoke to them a couple of months ago they said they would take power tools as long as they were DeWalt, Bosch, Makita etc as it was not economic to test and then transport cheaper tools out to Africa. He siad that voltage wasn't an issue as they were mostly used with generators. I've just looked on the web site and as you say it says no electrical equipment so I'm not sure if they have changed their position.

I'll give them a call on Monday and find out as I was planning to take a circular saw.

Keith

Thanks Keith - mind you I only have a black and decker jigsaw and sander I was going to bring along - looks they wouldn't be interested anyways. It's pretty hard giving electrical stuff away full stop - only one charity shop I know accepts it ...
Cheers
Gidon

gidon, I spoke to Bob White at TFSR today and they have put no electrical items on their web site because they were getting a lot of DIY power tools and they are just don't survive trade use.It was costing them more to ship them out than they were worth.

But they will take professional standard power tools such as Makita, DeWalt and Bosch (blue ones). As you can imagine they don't get so many people giving those away when they are still in good condition.

I'm donating my Makita circular saw as I've just bought the Festool saw and guide rail system, so I'm unlikely to ever use the Makita again.

If anyone has any larger items like the saw, you can speak to Bob at the show and he can arrange to have it collected from your vehicle.

It seems a really worthy cause to me, giving someone the tools of their trade so they can make a living, you can't get fairer than that IMHO.

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith for finding out this information. Will have to see if I have any decent hand tools to give away then but I doubt it :(.
Cheers
Gidon

Back