Tools designed by computer....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
This only a minor rant but I bought a NuTool Hobby Router table and it appears that it was designed by computer to be used by computer and not a human being or a Dog as it is one of the most un-user friendly tools I've ever had the misfortune to own. To start with the bit guard springs out and jams onto the work piece if the work piece is lower than the guard, result, ruined work piece. Next the extractor outlet allows most of the waste to end up on the work bench and not go up the extractor pipe this is because the outlet is only half an outlet. Imagine a full circle then cover half the circle and that's what the outlet looks like instead of being a full open outlet to allow the waste to exit out and up the tube. The fence adjustment is minimal and does not make full use of the width of the table.

If you own one and love it and don't know what I'm talking about then that's great, I'm happy for you and I hope you have a long and happy life together, but if you are thinking of buying one think again. I removed the guard and made a new overhead version out of a clear plastic lunch box hinged by way of a brass hinge fixed behind the fence. Next I removed the fence, drilled two 6mm holes towards the rear of the table to make full use of the table width when routing wide pieces of timber etc and now I can re-adjust the fence fairly easily and quickly. If anyone is remotely interested to see pics I'll post some ;)

I seem to remember parting with around £45, it troubles me greatly, being an Axminster fan, that they are selling a budget router table that looks horribly like the NuTool version, but I'm sure I'm mistaken, I'm sure Axminster wouldn't inflict anything as nasty as the NT table on mankind unless it was really impossible to avoid :D

Hi Dog,

I'm not one of those who necessarily equates quality with price - you might have seen on my other postings that I've sometimes plunged for the odd Power Pro or Nu Tool meself. In fact, I have a Nu Tool mitre saw that's about seven years old now, it's built to Soviet Militiary Specifications and I'm still using it because once I had set it up, it's remained dead accurate. I originally got it to spare my DW the hardship of repeated joist and truss cutting - but it's turned out to be more than equal to the task. (The DW was nicked - but that's another story). I also have an old NuTool benchtop bandsaw that's still going strong. I wouldn't part with it.

However- I think expecting even a half-decent router table at that price point redefines 'optimism'!

I've had very mixed experiences with the budget stuff. I usually acquired it when there's a job on that would be made much quicker if I had a whatever - nip down the local DIY shed and take a chance. Sometimes pleasantly surprised, usually laughingly disappointed. I've therfore learned the hard way to hang on and get decent kit because it really is cheaper in the long run. Have you thought about making your own router table? It's not as challenging as you might expect, and you can build it to your own standards. (Especially now you have a router table to build it with! :D )

Steve

Hi Steve, I agree with what you are saying. I have good quality tools and budget stuff in my collection. Over the time of coming here and both learning a great deal from other members and also irritating a few :D I'm more careful in what I choose to buy. The NT router table, I now remember, was on offer with an NT router for £60 all in. I already have a good router table which is easy to set up and use but wanted another to make things easier when routing with two different bits, so rather than having to change over bits on one router and re-set up the table I went for the special offer. The NT router (1/4" 850w) is fine for the purpose I need it for but that table really needs to be redesigned to be truely user friendly and then it would be a good buy for a beginner or occassional use table, as in my case.

J.T.

Dog":22qvy42r said:
I already have a good router table which is easy to set up and use but wanted another to make things easier when routing with two different bits, so rather than having to change over bits on one router and re-set up the table I went for the special offer.

careful, I think you might be on Norm's slope, number of routers equals number of cutters :wink:

:lol: Oddly enough I do appear to be collecting routers these days and bits, investing in CMT bits and Axminster routers is becoming a serious problem, almost equal to a form of illness :wink:

Back