Tools and machines for my workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sebastian, the Bessey Uniklamps you have ordered are fine for general assembly but being the quick-action squeeze type
Uniklamp have the same action as Revos & whilst I agree they are lighter duty than revos they aren’t quick action squeeze type

Uniklamp have the same action as Revos & whilst I agree they are lighter duty than revos they aren’t quick action squeeze type

Ah my bad, I was confusing the Uniklamp (which I actually don't have experience of) with the DuoKlamp (of which I own several).

" 2a or whatever cable that could be enough for 32 amps "
Probably said it's only a 2.5mm twin and earth. In which case (without seeing the site) He will be obliged to bring everything to standard, he would not be adhering to guidelines if not. I suspect he would be looking at an armoured feed to a new uprated fuseboard and if the serving board in the house is not up to satndard replacing that. But I'm just guessing in the dark.

Planes - I definitely agree with @AJB Temple - do not buy new where possible unless it's the likes of LN, Veritas, etc.

Ebay is good but be prepared to fettle or restore them in some (minor) way, however they'll be rock solid and reliable. I have a number of old Stanley planes from Ebay (5, 45, 50, 78) and they didn't take much work at all to get into a decent state, just a clean up, sharpening, and suchlike.

As an anecdote on your table top. Some years ago I bought a big house in the country with my wife and we were mortgaged to the hilt. Zero spare cash. Actually negative spare cash as No 1 offspring was in our near future.

I decided to fit out our utility room, and I made a mahogany worksurface 40mm thick, and oak cupboards. Big boards of mahogany as it was a longish room. Dominos had not been invented. There were no online forums and I had not heard of a biscuit jointer. I did not have a jointer plane and was not aware they existed in anything except wooden.

I used dowels to align the boards, put in using nails to mark the facing board (sharp point). A number 4and a half Stanley (present from my dad when I was a kid) to do the edge mating. Cascamite glue up (when that stuff was easy and good). Some record T clamps, but I had to work across in stages. Glue and clamp as I went.

Elu belt sander was my main tool for prepping the boards (still got it and still use it).
Oodles of coats of tung oil to finish.

It all turned out really well. I was proud of it and still am - I no longer own that house but the utility and kitchen fit out I made are still there. So you can as a young man have great aspirations, minimal kit but maximum enthusiasm and achieve really good things. Keep at it.

A plan is also a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something, I think you’ve been stuck in front of your drafting board too long Mike!

I think that you have missed the point. The analogy of an Aston Martin or a Landrover is not that one will make you better. it is about horses for courses. Do you want to drive off road or do you want a Grand tourer, The same is true for tools. Festool make fantastic precision tools but very expensive. Makita are more of a very solid trade tool that will suffer years of hard use. I have a mix of tools from both ends of the spectrum.
As already said you will get quite a lot of good advice but often contradictory. I would rather hand saw a board to dimensions (and not have a table saw) than have to plane and thickness boards (ie have a PT)
So rather than saying which tool is better, you have to put it in context of the work you want to do with it. If I wanted a router to cut large mouldings and use in a table, then its a half inch robust one, If you want to do fine details with small cutter then it possibly a quarter inch with finer controls.
Ian

Jory Brigham does some nice work, thanks for that!
I have had only a glance yet at his stuff (not for long)

Just a guess by looking at Jory's stuff that he doesn't use much electron powered hand tools

Jory has connections with Festool, I find it quite amusing that he has videos like "Making a handcrafted chair with Jory Brigham", if you watch it you see he makes all the joints with a Festool Domino 😂 😂 😂

In fairness, I think the OP is probably not on the right forum.
But, I do find the thread distractedly entertaining.
Perhaps I too can be a Ahole, because I've posted. (y)
Good luck with the machinery collection.
ATB,
Daniel

I can't fault Sebastian here. This started to go in the right direction with people interacting on what was asked then it went back to where it started, TheTiddles and Droog did you not read the earlier posts? All that information is clearly known by the OP and if it weren't then he's shown he's able to use a search engine. He's not arrogant, he's just fed up of you treating this like he knows nothing. Just answer the questions he's asked or go be boring elsewhere.

AJB Temple I don't think he was snapping at you. I'd imagine it's Tiddles and Droog based on what they've posted, it would have annoyed me too

Sebastian I'll try to answer some of your questions:

It could be as has been implied earlier that your cable is 2.5mm, if so it would need to be 4mm, yes. That said, if it is indeed new build you should get in touch with your builder if other electricians independently also confirm it's 2.5mm (don't ask them). If your housebuilder has told you that it should take a 32A car charging commando, then they should also pay for the 4mm cable to be laid. The cost of this might only be £500 so I personally think it's worth doing as it's a bit of a sticky point with the machines you want. They could have also said the wire was 2ga, but I don't know if it would be, as that would be quite meaty I think and would definitely be good enough

As AJB Temple and others have suggested, chisels can be got off ebay and not the end of the world if you get the sharpening a bit wrong. Stanley 5001 (black handle) are very good and not too expensive, the blue handle 5002 are slightly cheaper and very good still

I like my Makita PJ7000 biscuit jointer, I think it's always got a place - I think it's worth getting while you wait of the domino

The BS400 I think is well regarded, no it might not be as good as some of the Axminster Trade ones, I don't know but at about £1000 it's probably the best for the money - happy for people to disagree on this though

Last edited:
Yep, read them all, hence the “what type of bench and table?” question
But was your response actually relevant to the question. Could you not have given insight on the machines he's researched and said what machines you have in your workshop and whether you could recommend them?

:)
In the spirit of trying to be helpful, I noticed the discussion of planer
thicknesser capacities, earlier on.
Completely by accident, with no intentions at all, mine is 400mm.
It wasn't bought by accident, it was bundled with a particular saw
and spindle moulder I had fallen in love with. At the time, I thought
it was a quite unnecessarily large. How wrong can one be ? So often I
find myself working boards of 320 ish. It's just so darn useful(l).
I also grossly underestimated just what a useful machine it would
become.
ATB,
Daniel

Thread was cleaned and it's returned so most of the content is available for members to refer to. If your post is not showing, it was cleaned. This was a Noel/Angie co-operative effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back