Tools 2005-The Thursday Report

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Finally got my photo's sorted so here it is in all its "glory" :wink:

I haven't been on a Thursday before so was pleased to find it not as busy as the Saturday. You could walk around relatively easily without bumping into people too much. I felt the show was a little quieter stall-wise than last year but there was still plenty to see.
The competition entries were of a very high standard-there were some beautiful pieces on display. Wouldn't like to have to pick a winner......
Demonstration-wise there was as much turning as you could possibly want! Mr Morita was demonstrating Japanese joinery which was very impressive-some of the cuts he made by hand were breathtaking. On the Lie-Nielsen stand sadly Mr Cosman was missing. (His wife is expecting their NINTH child anyday) In his place was Deneb Puchalski-possibly the most boring demonstation I have ever seen :shock: He was so slow I couldn't be bothered to watch (most people I spoke to said the same) Please TLN-bring Rob back next year!
It was also great to chat with the woodworking celebs around the place-the very accomodating Rob Lee, David Charlesworth, Tom L-N, Andy King and more!
The Big Meet
12-o-clock came round soon, so off to Chestnut 's stand for the big UK Workshop Meet. It was a great turn-out, about two dozen, and it was a great pleasure to have a chat and finally put "faces to names"! :D
Wish we had more time as I didn't get to speak to everyone as much as I'd like-sorry! Ian Dalziel turned up with his amazing #98-a-like. You've never seen so many tool-heads licking their lips :lol:
So-to the photo's. Sorry if I missed anyone-sorry if I "Got" you! :lol:

First up-I arrived just after 09:30. I caught this gentleman salivating over planes on the Sauer and Steiner stand at 09:45!!! Put that cheque book away Sir!
DSCF1435.jpg

Caught on the Brimarc stand (L-R) Charley, Dave L, Barry and Martin.
DSCF1439.jpg

Here's Alan, Gidon and Noel. Noel's realises just a little too late that I've got the camera out.......
DSCF1437.jpg

The Lie-Nielsen stand. Pretty tools, pretty ladies and David Charlesworth!
Also-caught on camera, the elusive Mr Bugbear! :wink:
DSCF1449.jpg

Our host for the meet-Terry of Chestnut finishes. Cheers Terry!!

(Sorry I always get you on the phone!)
DSCF1450.jpg

Martin with Ian's wonderful #98-a-like. Moments later Ian had to rugby tackle him to the ground as he tried to run off with it!
DSCF1451.jpg

Charley, Pete, Chris, Ian and Chas. (Too late, Chris! :wink: )
DSCF1453.jpg

Gidon, Martyn, some Canadian bloke with a check shirt, Charley, Pete, Chris and Ian.
DSCF1455.jpg

and finally, The Plane Spotters convention, hosted by Mr Rob Lee!

:lol:
DSCF1456.jpg

The first thing everyone said upon saying hello was "What you bought???"
You'd think I have some kind of tool purchasing problem.....
I was pretty good this time. A L-N #66, dowel plate, Jap mortise chisel, oil applicator and rip saw. Very restrained........

DSCF1458.jpg

So to conclude! A great day out. It was so nice chatting with everyone I almost forgot to shop. :wink: If you're going today or Saturday have a brilliant time!
Cheers
Philly :D

Gee, thanks for the flattering picture!!!

to explain the look, I was trying to help someone sign into Messenger so that they could keep in touch with us at the show... never did get it to work!

It was great to see so many people here yesterday, sadly (well, perhaps not) it was a very busy time for us so I wasn't able to chat much, sorry, hope I didn't appear rude!

Hope to see some more of you today, or even the same faces!

Philly":2zrh1wd0 said:
was pretty good this time. A L-N #66, dowel plate, Jap mortise chisel, oil applicator and rip saw. Very restrained.....

You definitely require more coaching in buying skills :lol: :lol:

Good Pic's, glad everyone had a good time.

Adam":8jlsv54n said:
as someone told me recently
Calling me 'someone' instead of Noel, now, Adam? :p :lol:

Thanks for the photos, Philly - the next best thing to being there. Looks like you were very restrained in your purchases - no BU jointers available yet?

So can someone tell me what a doo-dah is now?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":304mb732 said:
Adam":304mb732 said:
as someone told me recently
Calling me 'someone' instead of Noel, now, Adam? :p :lol:

Thanks for the photos, Philly - the next best thing to being there. Looks like you were very restrained in your purchases - no BU jointers available yet?

So can someone tell me what a doo-dah is now?

Cheers,
Neil

Do you know, I searched for the posting for 5 mins, I tried "dowel" and "plate" and Dowel+plate", but couldn't find the posting. So gave up!

Adam

Neil
Well, my restrained spending was due to NOT being able to buy stuff........ :roll:
Bevel Up Jointer?...............not in stock
New Router Plane?.............not in stock
L-N mortise chisels?...........not in stock
Rob Cosman's new DVD?....not in stock
Decent square?.................none available to buy
etc, etc, etc..........
:twisted:
Maybe next year????
Philly :D
P.s. Doh=dah is a calander. Forgot to ask for mine :roll:

Cor, your credit card certainly avoided a major hit there, Philly! Thank goodness for mail order, eh? :lol:

Neil

Philly":1x8kjmql said:
Bevel Up Jointer?...............not in stock

Philly

If you order from LV before 14th you get the fence thrown in, mines being shipped on the 20th, go for it, you know it makes sense. :wink:

Well that could have been a lot worse I suppose 8-[ ](*,) - more checked shirts than Norm convention... :lol: I'll get you Philip... [-X :lol: There we are having a nice scholarly discussion on what a particular moulding was called (I thought it was a bolection, and I was so very wrong #-o ) and some half-wit with a camera causes BB to bridle like a hedgehog. :lol: Still, I got him good later. Unfortunately, I think he got me at the same time... :roll:

DSCF1464-1.JPG

I'll try to do names, but I bet I get it wrong... DaveL, Martyn2, Barry Burgess, Nigel (?), BugBear, erm...?, Aldel

DSCF1465-1.JPG

Tool c*ll*ct*rs drooling over Ian's plane (I drooled earlier away from the camera :wink: ) Tombo, Gidon, some Tool Collector, Chris, Martyn2, Charley and Chas' ear in close-up...

DSCF1466-1.JPG

Oh look, someone's tried to run away with it but Ian got to them first. Chris, DaveL, Charley, Noel and Philly's ear. Look I wasn't going round checking they'd washed behind them, honest I wasn't...

DSCF1467-1.JPG

Looking down he advises the would-be runner not to try that again... Ian, Cambourne Pete and Chas' hand. :roll:

After that I completely forgot to take any pictures, despite standing in front of all Rob's show'n'tell plane models and prototypes for over an hour. #-o It's okay; nothing you can say will be as bad as what I'm calling myself...

I failed to see most of the competition stuff :( , but I seemed to have shaken more hands than Her Maj on a Royal Visit. DC was in mellow mood while T L-N claimed new tools were held up because the R&D team (i.e. Him) kept being away at shows. Naturally we advised him to go home immediately in that case. :wink: Rob was just as nice in real life as he is in the virtual world, although he was sneaky and didn't let on my folks had introduced themselves. Dammit, they're threatening to actually read what I write now. 8-[ Over-hearing slightly embarrassed woodworkers murmuring "doo-dah" to anyone who might look Canadian was worth the price of entry alone. :lol: Totally failed to catch Terry's eye at any stage, so sorry, Terry. Andy was his usual cheerful self, even when Ian came over all opportunistic and asked him to sharpen his #98's iron as he wasn't doing anything! Finally got to meet The Boss, aka Our Host and he claims 20-odd strange woodworkers meeting up at a tool show has nothing to do with him. Well he can continue to delude himself if it helps him sleep at night. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time and I'm sort of jealous.

Maybe if the financial gods choose to smile upon me again in the future I can finally meet some of you all.

Have fun. Spend lots and make sure to show us the goods--even a sneaked in gloat will do.

Take care, Mike

I unfortunately arrived at 12.30 which meant that most of the group was drifting away so didn't get to meet that many folk (although the upside for you was that I didn't get photographed!)

I did actually go a bit nuts and managed a fair haul including the new D4R Dovetail jig and an LA jack, plus I managed to get a really good deal on some Besseys amongst other things. I survived the Festool stand with only some accessories making their way onto my tally, but that was because of a strong will.

Chris and Philly were doing lots of buying (but vicariously) - Philly literally dragging me to the japanese waterstones and Chris I did get the drill press :roll:

All those working on all the stands were incredibly helpful - special mention has to go to Mr LN who, when I mentioned that I couldn't get on with the dowel plate, asked Chris and I to come in early on the Friday and spent half an hour with us on it. In fairness, he did produce a good peg - but it did take him a full 20 mins (which makes me feel less bad about my efforts).

Also worth the trip just to watch the Japanese carpenter - Unbelievable, jaw dropping skill.

Two gripes:

Axminster need to be less greedy and open the show to a wider set of suppliers - there is space - and it wouldn't damage their brand. No Incra for example is unacceptable.

It was a shame that there wasn't more of a plan to meet up in the evening. Maybe next year those staying should be closer together and we can get a few beers in.

Other than that - great fun and I'm off to play with all my new toys.

Cheers

Tim

This Japanese gentleman was one of the highlights of the show for me - apart from making me think I ought to give this game up. He had no bench - did all his work on the floor. Marked up the most complicated looking joints and cut them out with his saw, then when they were knocked together you had a very hard time seeing the joins.

IMGP0510.jpg

He used this flexible square for all his marking out - naturally I bought one so that my joinery will be as good as his henceforth!:wink:
IMGP0509.jpg

IMGP0511.jpg

IMGP0512.jpg

The only reason you can see the join here is because Tim has assembled it the wrong way round and the grain no longer matches!
japanesejoint.sized.jpg

It'll not be the only thing chopped off once LOML finds out how much I've spent.

Cheers

Tim

:D I must admit I got a set of japenise saw :tool: as well as some waterstones to help keep a nice set of chisels :whistle: sharp also got the new kerg precision miter gauge that I looking forward to using :D

my much better half was offering to get me a lathe for the christmas( might push for a decent plane) :-k presnt but I think meeting up with the forums members was the best part.

All in all i think I like The yandels a bit beter or that could have been i was of on holls after).

Martyn

I suppose it'd be too much to hope that anyone got a chance to look over the Axminster AWFS18 fretsaw :?: [-o<

Still, I'm pleased everyone had a good time and managed to escape with lots of booty. It's great reading about the show, and I only wish I could have been there.

Gill

PS Chas - didn't Di want to go along? I do hope she wasn't put off by the reprobates at Stoneleigh.

Back