Quantcast

Tools 2003 - discounts to be had?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am in the market for a new bandsaw and various bits and pieces for the workshop - yay! :D

Question is, do I just order from Rutlands, or is it worth a trip to the Exeter Extravaganza? Have never been before and as I live in Kent it will be a long journey so wondered if discounts are to be had, hence justifying the trip to SWMBO :wink:

Am seriously tempted to go just for the fun factor and to oggle kit way above my price range, but if deals are available of 10-20% say then it would be daft not to go! Anyone been previously and reckon its worth it?

Cheers,

Steve.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

Just for an ogle it is well worth the trip. I'm coming over from N.Ireland...
I was well impressed last year. It was just the sheer range of tools, machinery etc. Nearly all the manufacturers/distributors have demos and hands on test drives. Lie Neilsen planes - play with them on real hardwood, cut wood on bandsaws, tablesaws, routers etc, etc. Even if you don't spend a penny still well worth it.
I've been to the Ally Pally show a few times - no comparison. I thought the Woodcut show at Wembley a year or two ago was as good as you could get. Of course haven't been to the NEC/Stoneleigh or D & M shows.

With regard to prices there is not much difference to the best mailorder firms and as far as I recall all Axminster stuff was near enough list price.
With the bigger stuff you could at least try and haggle 10%. I always do and usually succeed.
Yes, I'm a fan of the Axminster show.

Rgds

Noel

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might be of interest; there's advert for Tools 2003 in the Western Morning News and it gives the show discount as a disappointing 5% (again). It also speaks of discount vouchers and "fantastic show offers". At a guess, the same ones as in their "Highlights" leaflet. Or am I just turning into a hopeless cynic? :? FWIW

Cheers, Alf

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Thursday for me...

Rgds

Noel