Toolrest locking design on Poolewood 2840?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logrover

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to woodturning and have acquired a PW 28-40 for a price i could not refuse (felling and snedding a few mature trees), and am so far enjoying the research, buying the essentials, and gradually getting up to speed.

The lathe is pretty much complete, along with the outboard attachment, but was missing a chuck (now sorted) and only has one original toolrest. My question is about the toolrest locking mechanism:

The exploded parts diagram shows "item 36" which sits between the grub screw in the cast iron banjo and the eccentric steel disc into which the toolpost sits. It seems that the grubscrew is adjusted to take up slack and then the eccentric steel disc locks when rotated against item 36. The problem i have is that item 36 is missing in both my toolrest holders and the grubscrew has been tightened up to touch the steel disc, which means it digs into the steel and also that there is no length left for a locking nut at the rear. I have put a small ball bearing in the space and that sort of works, but not ideal.

Soooo, can anyone help explain what "item 36" is and how the toolpost locking mechanism is designed to work (and how effective)?

many thanks.

DSCN2131.JPG

It's no more than a piece of threaded rod with a hex key indent and a lock nut on the back working on a brass cylinder. You could make either easily enough, just putting a slot across the end of the rod for adjustment. There is some trial and error involved setting it up so it tightens with the lever in the least inconvenient position.

I have no way of knowing, of course, that this is original. :D

Attachments

• DSCN2131.JPG
    DSCN2131.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 840
thanks phil, that picture helps a lot.

I have the nut and bolt, but the brass piece is what i was missing on both of my holders. I can now get a couple made up on a friends metalworking lathe and see how that works.

cheers.

Back