Toolchest complete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamrine

Reaction score
I haven't really posted here before, but I do browse a lot from across the pond.

I will let you go to my woodworking page (here) to read the details, but I completed my toolchest last night. There are some bad spots, but I did a great job hiding them in the photos, I think. :biggrin:

As usual, the problems I had all stemmed from the lack of a proper tool for the given operation. Always a good excuse to spend a little more. ;)

Here are the images:

jamey_toolchest.jpg

jamey_toolchest_open.jpg

jamey_toolchest_closeup.jpg

Finish is milk paint and BLO. Cut nails were used for the trim application. Strap hinges and handles are from Lee Valley.

Thanks for looking.

-Jamey

Jamey, what a debut on the forum! Welcome, and what a splendid tool chest. The "mint" and "chocolate" go together really well. My only worry is: will it be big enough... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

It will certainly not be big enough for my entire stock of tools, but I believe for the tools I want within reach the most, it will serve fine.

The pine was rescued from the garage of my old (pre-marriage) house that is up for sale. When I found it under the rubble, much of which was from the previous owner 6+ years ago, I immediately saw a toolchest in waiting. I could have edge-glued up some boards to make it taller, but I would not have had enough left for the lid panel, and since that would be a major feature and the pine was really especially nice, I had to keep enough for that.

I will certainly not be the last chest I build, but I needed something so I could get rid of the terrible sheet metal cabinet that was taking up floor space, but also housing many of my tools. In fact, one idea I have is to build a low floor cabinet for some of the tools that will always be at the bench, and put this chest atop it to keep the portable stuff in.

Thanks for the feedback. I always enjoy your posts here and elsewhere, Alf.

-Jamey

Jamey--what Alf said!

Great tool chest--milk paint makes a great finish. Durable at least once sealed.

Welcome...from your side of the pond.

Mike
(wondering when Alf's tool chest will be complete <g>)

Welcome - and nice job!

Think the green colour looks great (and lovely contrasting woodshavings on the floor :wink: )

Looking forward to your next project.

Andrew

Great work there, fantastic looking chest.

At last i can say it without getting slapped :lol:

Matt.

Keep up, Mike. I bought mind ready filled
Sorry Alf. I must have been mistaken. All this time I thought you had asked for help in deciding what went back into it.

But hey, my memory just isn't what it use to be :lol:

But between Jamey's post and looking again at your old chest Alf (hey, don't go there), I just might have to make one.

Take care...Mike

Beautiful job (although I think toolchests are officially required to be a darker green than that :))

I like the hardware, too.

Looks good, were you influenced by the one in Taunton toolchest book
which had walnut trim and a darker green milkpaint?

Javier":1p300yyj said:
Looks good, were you influenced by the one in Taunton toolchest book
which had walnut trim and a darker green milkpaint?

I wouldn't say influenced. I had the walnut from my grandfather's old stash (cut, I believe, from my great-grandfather's farm) and when I went to the store to pick out a paint color for the maple, the blue I wanted was out of stock, so the green was my second choice.

I had remembered that chest in the book, but was not really trying to emulate it.

-Jamey

Nice chest - It looks quite heavy will you be able to carry it far when it is full?

Andy

Back